Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cold front is here

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold front is here

Well, I plan on taking my oldest son fishing tomorrow morning. Here's the deal, a massive cold front has moved into Colorado and the temps on Saturday are projected to be in the low 60's where I plan to fish.

The high today is only in the 50's.

Is it worth driving an hour+ each way to fish or are the buggers going to be turned off?

Saturday is supposed to be the full moon which should be a bluegill spawn so I was hoping to nab a couple of those guys as well.

BTW, I'll be shore fishing as I still don't own a boat.

What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

If I was you I would go there are no bad days fishing with your kids oh and they will or might be a little deeper. there should be some arround a perch bed also good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quality time with your son, I say go.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Any time I can take my kids, I go...

Where I am from, usually the fish bite nice when the front is moving through... Not so good behind the front.

Oscar

Post Thanks / Like

I vote go :D no bad days fishing.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Yup! Go Fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Yep, !
    All above X2 !
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

I think the gallery has spoken
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we went and fished all day. We headed about 60 miles east of Colorado Springs, then headed south to Karval Reservoir. We got there about 8:00 AM and fished for about 2 hours without a bite. It was our first time there so we had no idea where to fish.

We left Karval and headed about 20 miles up the road to Hugo ponds in the Hugo SWA. We spent about 4 hours there and caught a few small smallmouth bass. I caught a 8 oz and 14.5 oz smallmouth and a 10" stocker sized rainbow trout. I sent the trout back as I have a few in the freezer and they're not my favorite fish.

We then headed another 10 minutes north to Kinney Reservoir. We fished for a few hours there and my son landed a 8 oz catfish. On our way out, we tried one last place and I caught a couple of fairly small crappies. I sent them back to grow up some more.

The odd thing was that the 14.5 oz smallmouth had eggs! Isn't it a bit late for spawning? We caught her in a very small pond and she may have been the only fish in it. We sure didn't get anymore bites in that pond after catching her.

All in all, we were gone about 12 hours, put on about 180 miles, and came home with 3 fish. Fish is getting expensive in my house :-). We sure had fun mucking around in the mud though.

Stan
    Last edited by shuyge; 08-18-2008 at 10:01 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Shugye ....

those Smallmouth eggs were probably next Spring's clutch.

I know what you mean by "expensive" fish :p ... closest lakes for me to fish, with any chance at catching any eaters, are 1 to 1.5hrs away ... East, South, or West of me :D And, if I want a good chance at quality sized fish, then it's a 3-5hr drive.

.... cp