Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tire Pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tire Pressure

Okay, after all these years of driving I am still confused as to what the correct tire pressure for a vehicle should be. Once I think I have it right something else comes out to make me doubt I am doing it right. The tires on my truck state the max psi is 44. The sticker on the vehicle door says psi should be 32 front and 33 rear. The dealership will fill the tires to a psi somewhere between these numbers. I have 40 psi now. This is 2 psi higher than what the dealer put in but still below the max psi per the tire manufacturer. I would think it is better to go with the tire manufacturer recommendations...am I wrong on this?
    I am sooooo confused. Someone please help!!!! I want to do it right so I get the best gas mileage and do not wear my tires prematurely.

Post Thanks / Like

Your vehicle door has no idea what tires are on the road at this time. I would follow the recomended pressure listed on the side of the tire. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

The vehicle door recommendations are based on the vehicle weight.

Just as the previous poster said the door did not know what tires you have on the truck, neither do the tires know what the truck they are mounted on weighs.

If you are running the tire size recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, then their recommended inflation numbers will give you the best ride and reasonable tire life. If you want to sacrifice a bit of the smooth ride, you can boost the inflation a bit and get better gas millage.

If you want the absolute best gas millage, but do not care about accelerated wear and rough riding, then run the tires at their maximum safe pressure.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I put the max recomendation that is on the tire. I does cause the centers of the tires to wear faster than the outside edges, but it helps with gas mileage supposedly and it helps with handleing when pulling a boat.(less side to side roll)
    To heck with work, lets go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Contact Obama, because he might be able to answer this question.

Post Thanks / Like

The car manufacturer recommends a tire pressure that offers the best ride in the vehicle. Low tire pressure equals softer ride. The tire manufacturer states the tire pressure on the tire that offers the best wear/safe pressure for that particular tire. Example: I have a 3/4 ton truck with load range E tires. The recommended tire pressure on the tire is 80 psi. At that pressure the tire will carry the load at the safest mode which equates to sidewall stability and heat reduction. The truck however rides rather rough at this tire pressure. If I reduce the tire pressure to say 55 psi the tire will ride better but its sidewalls will be less stable and it will flex and build heat. The tire is still safe but its wear characteristics are worse as it will flex and run hotter than if if was at 80 psi. If I reduce the tire pressure yet again to say 32 psi then I have probably crossed the line on the safety aspect of this particular tire. In other words if I carried a load in the bed of the truck that the tire is recommended to to carry but at a 32 psi then more than likely the tire will heat up to a point that it will separate the cords.....always keep the recommended tire pressure that the tire manufacture states on the tire for best results. This is especially true in boat trailer tires.
    Last edited by Iamfishing; 08-17-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Iamfishing exactly what pressure do you run,I have a 3/4 with Es also rated for 80 but when not pulling a heavy load I drop em to 55 to 60, seem to be fine,with no issues, Jim with yours I'd say 38 to 40 would be sufficient.
    Last edited by Outlaw1&2; 08-17-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input. I learned something from all the responses.

Post Thanks / Like

Default And then there's the ambient temp to consider...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Manz View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I learned something from all the responses.
    as elevated temps will increase the tire pressure considerably. If you fill to tire max rating in 60 deg. and drive it in 90 deg. you could have issues. I know this first hand. Left MI w/ 5th wheel tires at tire rated pressure and found myself on the shoulder of I-40 outside Knoxville w/ a blow out due to over inflated tires.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.