Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Fishing Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Fishing Crappie

Been thinking about getting a green light for night fishing. Anybody out there do this, and what kind of results do you get? Is it worth the expense? What light do you recommend?

Thanks for the input.
    Good fishing all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmruger View Post
    Been thinking about getting a green light for night fishing. Anybody out there do this, and what kind of results do you get? Is it worth the expense? What light do you recommend?

Thanks for the input.
    Good fishing all.
    That is kind of a hard question. I have used white and green and decided on using the Green Lights. I use one 36" long Fisherman's Green Light (about $170) that is pretty high cost and I use 2 of the little LED lights I sell on my web site for 119.95 each plus shipping. The long tube one is set up well and has lasted years, lot of years so far and can still be found for sale on the net.

Both will work, but I find the less expensive white ones are easy to break without trying. Some time they start leaking for no apparent reason. I think the having one that cost more makes me what out for it more too. The little LED ones don't draw on the battery much at all, but my longer one does have a pretty good bit of draw.

So it's a matter of personal preference as well as your pocket book. I like the green lights more and think they draw more bait fish. I can not say they make me catch more crappie because each night is a different bite and you never know what the other color may have done on the same night. All of them will draw fish though.

Oh and I would never buy another Optronics! I had several go bad fast and break easy. I feel they are junk.

Skip
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 08-14-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

ditto on the Optronics!

I use the Brinkman Starfire Q-beam. They are still under $20.00 I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnowsoaker View Post
    ditto on the Optronics!

I use the Brinkman Starfire Q-beam. They are still under $20.00 I think.
    I agree completely about Starfires by Q-beam I use 3 of em and I'm very happy with them, but I'm going to build a green light myself simply because curiosity is killing me and I gotta know fer myself which works better. Heres a link on how to build one make a hydro green light - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clark_kent View Post
    I agree completely about Starfires by Q-beam I use 3 of em and I'm very happy with them, but I'm going to build a green light myself simply because curiosity is killing me and I gotta know fer myself which works better. Heres a link on how to build one make a hydro green light - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

mike
    Ditto...Been using the Q-Beam for years and have had good luck with the durability of them and catching fish...But the green light has me curious

Post Thanks / Like

Bought a green light at BPS, think its 32" for around thirty bucks. Had it now for two years, and it gets plenty of use. Highly recomend!!!!!!!!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

the Q beans work great 20 dallors apiece

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    Bought a green light at BPS, think its 32" for around thirty bucks. Had it now for two years, and it gets plenty of use. Highly recomend!!!!!!!!
    I have 2 of the BPS green lights and I am very pleased with them. I don't plan on giving 100 bucks fore a light and I've fished with Friends who have them high priced lights and cant tell any difference just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I went ahead and did it. I bought one of the 22" Brinkman's and one of the 100watt halogens with 3 color covers, white, green, and blue. The 22" Brinkman only draws .6 amp and the halogen pulls 8 amp and is supposed to last for about 10 to 14 hours. I figure it can't hurt to give them a try. I really want to become a good crappie fisherman, and right now I pretty much ain't. I do catch them on minnows a lot, but would like to graduate to jigs more effectively.

I recently got 6 of the porcupine fish attractors, and have started cutting the pipe. Hopefully will sink 3 each in two spots on my lake in late September or October, and maybe able to fish them by the time Ice is on the lake.

Anyway, thank you for the insights.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Led night fishing light

I use an LED light that I build utilizing 18 - 70,000 mcd 12 vdc leds. This set up draws less than 0.2 amps and emits an amazing amount of light. I typically hang one off each corner of the boat or dock and light up a good size area. It is amazing the amount of bait fish around these lights. I also made a bait trap and suspend on of these lights inside that trap. Works great.
    Here is a photo of the light.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast