Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any reports from Wappapello?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any reports from Wappapello?

longshot or hoot, you guys been lately?
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

I live at the Lake and talked to a couple of guys who fished for Crappie yesterday and they said it was slow. I blue gill fished yesterday and they are now on the bed. Caught 28 without moving the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I went the last couple weekends. Only went one day each weekend. We tried anything from 3'-12' of water. We cast and trolled with both minnows and jigs. It is SLOW. I think it will be a couple weeks before we get on a good consistant summer pattern in @8-12' of water trollin with minnows. I have not heard of any good reports either on crappie.

Did hear the gills were startin to spawn like MPK said and the cats were pretty good on jugs. Gonna try juggin tonight if it is not stormin.

I work at the lake in the summer so I keep up with the fishin pretty well then also.

later
    longshot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by longshot
    I went the last couple weekends. Only went one day each weekend. We tried anything from 3'-12' of water. We cast and trolled with both minnows and jigs. It is SLOW. I think it will be a couple weeks before we get on a good consistant summer pattern in @8-12' of water trollin with minnows. I have not heard of any good reports either on crappie.

Did hear the gills were startin to spawn like MPK said and the cats were pretty good on jugs. Gonna try juggin tonight if it is not stormin.

I work at the lake in the summer so I keep up with the fishin pretty well then also.

later
    longshot
    Talked with some people at Wapp sports a couple of days ago. Monday they were killing them I guess. They got out early but they didn't hit until around 9:00am and not 10' off the bank.

I fished on Wed. off the bank near redmond and caught 6 around 8 to 10" (enough for dinner) released a bunch of little ones. Used pumpkin seed/chart jig and light green/chart. Fishing about 4 to 6' under a bobber in about 12' of water.
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't know what it is with Wappappello. I have fished there my whole life and can really only count a few times where the Crappie have been just unbelievable. Of course those memories are what keeps me fishing. lol.

Have always had pretty good luck at the Old State Park and around Lost Creek, Redman. However, Lost Creek seems to be a hatchery for small crappie.

Grandpa and Uncle lives on the lake, Bill and Wayne Wright, if ya know em. They go to Sardis in Mississippi for their Crappie. I will follow them next year.

Bluegill fishing has always been excellent in my opinion at Wap.

The thing is I am sort of confused on why there are not more Slabbers in the lake? Is it the Corp management? Water levels? I just do not know.

Post Thanks / Like

I have lived on Wappapello for 29 years. One of the problems, in my opinion, it has such enormous fishing pressure for its size, and no size limit the crappie just don't have the opportunity to grow. Starting next year the size limit will be 9" but if more enforcement is not done it won't make any difference. I have never been checked by a conservation agent in my 29 years.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree 100%. to much pressure and no length limit hurts wapp. hopefully they will enforce the new regulations so these crappie will have time to grow.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"