Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: All You Guides Need To Read This

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation All You Guides Need To Read This

I don't know if all you guys are aware of this but here goes. After 911 the USCG became part of the Dept. Of Homeland Security. One of the things that the USCG has imposed on us out here on the river and blue water is as of April we all will have to carry a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Card). While reading the Aug. 11th issue of Waterways Journal I found out that this applies to anyone that carrys a USCG issued document/licence. They specifically named guides in the artical. This card involves an extensive background search asking for everything but a stool sample! It takes months to get aproved and there are only certain places you can apply for it at. By the time you get it you will have several hundred buck invested and it has to be renewed every 5 years. Recently a Minn. rep. introduced a bill that would exempt small business/guides from this requirement but you know how slow congress is. If you operate under your licence after the deadline may god be with you. There are some big consiquences for failure to comply. Hopfully you guys will be exempted before the deadline. Google TWIC for more info. It took me by suprize so I thought I'd throw it out there.
    Last edited by Wiskers; 08-14-2008 at 12:52 AM. Reason: spell'n
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the TWIC is a big deal. i work for a company located on the Ohio river that loads/unloads chemical barges as part of our plastic manufacturing. They are saying that everyone on site will have to have a TWIC card or that we will have to add even more security fence inside the perimeter of the plant to further secure areas from the workers without TWIC approvals This will include all personnel and contractors. Our plant is right at 1300+ workers and a few hundred contractors daily and as many as a 1000 contractors during our maintenance shutdowns.

Post Thanks / Like

Got mine Monday in Vicksburg. Lot's of bad press about the process to get these cards but my experience was pleasent. Enrolled on line, made appt and went over to Vicksburg, filled out all info on computer which took about 15 mins and they said 2-3 weeks to recieve the card. My buddy got his card in 2 weeks so maybe mine will be the same.

TSA: Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
    BamaFan

There are two things to aim for in life: First, to get what you want; and after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieves the second. Author unknown, but I like it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote from the TSA website:

"How much does a TWIC cost?
    The fee for a TWIC card will be $132.50 and the credential is valid for five years."

Well that really sucks!
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger