Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many shiners will this keep?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many shiners will this keep?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

The 5 gallon size. Anyone using one? I'd rather have a large thick styrofoam cooler but can't find one.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Go to walmart or any other place and buy a 48quart cool and a 2 D cell battery operated air pump with stone should be cheaper than these. I use a cooler just smaller and works just as good.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

A 48 quart cooler would work but they take up allot of room. I bought a cooler about half (maybe even smaller see photo of cooler full on this page) that size. I was using the battery powered aerator but if you fish as much as I do the batteries get to costing to much! I bought a Power Bubbles aerator with alligator clips and use an old trolling motor battery to power it. It will run for days. I mounted the unit where I couldn't hear the hummmmm! It works great! Not to mention you have an extra battery if something should go wrong.
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't be using this on the boat. Just for keeping them alive at home. I don't seem to have much luck with plastic koolers. Maybe an aerator made for an aquarium?

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Main thing you might want to try is keep the water fairly clean, and make sure its fairly cold. Even though you have an aerator going to provide oxygen, warm water will still kill your minnies. The colder you can keep the water, the easier they are to keep alive. One thing that works well is to keep them in a refrigerator, or down in the cellar.

Post Thanks / Like

howdy IBN; one local place i get my minnies at gets there supply on thursdays, so i get mine from them on my way home from school, use one of those small buckets with the styerafoam insert, put'm in the fridg (temp is 34 deg. F.) hit'm with 30 min. of air in morning, when i get home 'bout5:00pm, them befor i go to bed. i buy 3 doz. at a time still have some left over on sunday evening, if they aren't biting to heavley. tarfu.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

The 5 gallon size. Anyone using one? I'd rather have a large thick styrofoam cooler but can't find one.
    Hey Bill, check with your local Ice Cream companies. They have access to very thick(about 2" or so), cube shaped styrofoam coolers that have just as thick of inset lids. They reportedly will keep icecream frozen for up to 5 days. The ones I have bought in the past, cost somewhere between $5-$10(can't remember), and are about 20"x20"x20" app. Omaha Steaks ships their mail order products our in similar styled coolers too; they just add dry ice to it. Couple these coolers with a 450GPH bilge pump (about $15) and a cheap 1/2" PVC pipe tree with slots cut in it($2) to circulate & aerrate your water. That will keep you in business for as long as you keep changing the water. Should work perfect for 1lb of minnows or even a little more. A cheap converter would get you the advantage of using 110 verses battery power too. In the boat, I just hook this up to a Vexilar battery, and it will last all day. Let me know if you need more details on how to build it.

Lively bait to ya!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 05-11-2005 at 10:40 PM.
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Slab
    A 48 quart cooler would work but they take up allot of room. I bought a cooler about half (maybe even smaller see photo of cooler full on this page) that size. I was using the battery powered aerator but if you fish as much as I do the batteries get to costing to much! I bought a Power Bubbles aerator with alligator clips and use an old trolling motor battery to power it. It will run for days. I mounted the unit where I couldn't hear the hummmmm! It works great! Not to mention you have an extra battery if something should go wrong.
    Hey Slab Where did you get that Power Bubbles 12v at My bubbler is about bubbled out on my boat and they want $ 80.00 for the one that goes on it. I've been looking for another 12v that's cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
    Hey Bill, check with your local Ice Cream companies. They have access to very thick(about 2" or so), cube shaped styrofoam coolers that have just as thick of inset lids. They reportedly will keep icecream frozen for up to 5 days. The ones I have bought in the past, cost somewhere between $5-$10(can't remember), and are about 20"x20"x20" app. Omaha Steaks ships their mail order products our in similar styled coolers too; they just add dry ice to it. Couple these coolers with a 450GPS bilge pump (about $15) and a cheap 1/2" PVC pipe tree with slots cut in it($2) to circulate & aerrate your water. That will keep you in business for as long as you keep changing the water. Should work perfect for 1lb of minnows or even a little more. A cheap converter would get you the advantage of using 110 verses battery power too. In the boat, I just hook this up to a Vexilar battery, and it will last all day. Let me know if you need more details on how to build it.

Lively bait to ya!

Thanks Tim, I'm going to look into that.

<,"}/>{ Rippa

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I won't be using this on the boat. Just for keeping them alive at home. I don't seem to have much luck with plastic koolers. Maybe an aerator made for an aquarium?
    IB;; Don't know if you would want to do it But i went to walmart bought a 55gal plastic drum, cut the top off sunk it in the ground about half way, The ground keeps the barrel cool. then bought a aeator from wm. fill the barrel about 3/4 full, I keep as many as 2 to 3 pounds of minnows all the time. I'll lose about 2 a day LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast