Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: catfish recipies

Post Thanks / Like

Default catfish recipies

My favorite thing to talk about is cooking and eating. so here goes my catfish recipie which is pretty basic but manalive is it good.
    catfish fillets with red meat and yellow meat trimmed off. i usually cut into 1 inch thick by about 4 or 5 inches long.
    soak fillets in butter milk for at least an hour in refrigerator.
    mix together a mixture of 1/3 all purpose flour and 2/3 corn meal.
    salt and black pepper and garlic to taste.
    i like mine a little spicey so i also add red pepper to taste.
    drain fillets and dredge in mixture then drop in 375 degree peanut oil.
    well ive got my appitatite up now so i got to go.
    let me hear yalls recipies i might have to try somthing different one day.
    Freedom isnt free, semper fi
    KI4SYJ

Post Thanks / Like

I dip in egg and milk mixture.Then dredge in 1/4 flour,3/4 cornmeal and 2tbls of cajun seanosing all mixed together.I also prefer the peanut oil if deep frying.I use crisco for pan frying.The amount of cajun may need to be adjusted to your preference.I like it very spicy but only for catfish.Try some cajun seasoning next time in your hushpuppie batter.It's goooood.

Post Thanks / Like

2 cups cornmeal
    1 cup Self rising Flour
    table spoon salt
    3 table spoons black pepper
    1 tea spoon garlic powder
    ( I you like them spicy add 2 table spoons of red pepper and a tea spoon of white pepper.)
    Mix above together well in a brown paper bag.
    Lay fish out on paper towels and dry them off.
    Sprinkle a little salt on each piece of fish. Fillet or whole
    Drop 4 or 5 pieces in the brown paper bag. And shake the bag well. Take out of the bag and drop in clear cooking oil that is at 350 to 355 degrees.
    Cook until the piece floats to the top, And the bubbles slow down that come from around the fish.
    I have cooked for 2 people up to 400+ in a night. And everyone always loves the catfish like this.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I always soak my fish in salty water for about an hour then go with the milk/egg bath and then slam them in the mix.

Post Thanks / Like

superdave i do about the same with fish i even soak my squirrel meat in salty water over night in the fridge before freezing or cooking them makes the meat better
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS

Post Thanks / Like

You just can't beat fried, but lately I've been tryin to cut back on the fried stuff. It was either that or the beer,:D so I've been grillin em lately. A fish grillin basket makes grillin the fillets much easier.

trim all red and yellow meat from fillets.
    marinate fillets in Italian salad dressing overnight, shake excess dressing off fillets, spray grillin basket w/ Pam or similar non stick and place on the grill.

Another way to do it is to skip the Italian dressing and brush fillets very lightly w/ olive oil place on grill and baste w/ your favorite BBQ sauce the last 15-20 minutes of cooking time. I like a vinegar based sauce for this.