Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: J. Percy Priest Summer Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default J. Percy Priest Summer Crappie

Sunday 08-01-04 we fished from 6:00am-10:00am and caught 29 crappie and kept 19 over 10". The big fish was just over 12". We were Kentucky rigging minnows in 15-25 ft. of water over wood structure in the Bryant Grove area of J. Percy Priest Lake. All fish caught from bottom to five feet above the bottom of the lake.
    Monday 08-02-04 we fished from 8:00am-11:00am and caught 20 crappie and 15 were over 10". A few fish went right at 13". These fish fell to a double hook Kentucky rig baited with minnows. We were fishing between Hobson Pike bridge and Bear Island on J. Percy Priest. It seems that the larger fish I've been catching have come north of the bridge during the heat of the summer. Don't quit fishing for crappie during the dog days of summer. Some of the crappie are suspended in the water column relating to the creek channel/river channel. These fish can be taken by trolling crankbaits between 1.0 and 3.0 mph. The fish still have to eat! They still relate to brushpiles/stakebeds and ledges as well. Those that dislike the crankbait trolling tactic need to try the deep water Kentucky rig baited with minnows. We all have our favorite method, but be versatile and try different tactics when the old reliable method slows or fails all together. Try the Kentucky rig during early and late hours just after sunrise and before sunset when the air/water temp. is heating up and cooling down. In between these times during the mid day is a good time to troll the crankbaits and cool down with a slow boat ride that may just add a few bonus fish to the livewell during the hot months of summer. Crappiehunter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good To See You Are Catching Them

Glad to see you are catching them CH. I know they school up big there during the summer months and will stay there on up into cold weather. I don't know what happened to the night honey hole it is full of molasses it seems. If I can ever get my health straightened out I will be there with you! Keep us posted on what you're catching! Take care, Speck