Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas-10% Ethanol - Water Seperators

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas-10% Ethanol - Water Seperators

Anyone having problems with water in the tanks of boats due to the 10 % ethanol in the gas that is currently produced in the U.S.?

I checked with a local boat dealer in East Texas who advised that many boats were being serviced because of the condensation produced by the ethanol in gas. They said the FIX was a water seperator installed on the fuel line attached to the boats gas tank lines. The water seperator cost about $110.00 installed.

The quick fix was SEAFOAM in the tank and keep the tank full at all times during non use. They also said it was eating the gas bulb from the inside out and depositing the bits of rubber inside the carbs, causing problems. Are any members dealing with this issue? Is the water seperator the fix or is this just a ploy to make money and sell a product? Should the gas just be treated with the seafoam or staybuild?
    Yea, I caught a limit! Did'nt you?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A water seperator filter is a very good idea. It will not only keep the water out but filter out any foreign objects the ethanol may release. Here is what the most common look like look like: Bass Pro Shops Fuel Filter/Water Separator Kit for Mercury Motors
    Or you can get one like this which you can drain the water out of. Racor Gasoline Spin-On Series Fuel Filter/Water Separators & Parts - iboats.com
    They are pretty easy to install.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

you can get the 1 from bps and a spare filter for around 35.00,+ a couple of barbed hose fittings and do it your self,,,,, but i think 100. is a little steep,,,jmo
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm never knew such an item exsisted. Think I will make a run to BPS and pick me up one. Have not had any problems(knock on wood) as of yet,, but better be safe than sorry on the water!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Racor filter but I only buy premium gas for my boat to avoid problems. The Racor filter I have has a plastic bottom that lets you see if you have water or trash in your fuel.
    A Bad Day of Fishing is Better Than a Good Day of Work!

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought one today at Academy it was 45 dollars and has the see threw bottom with a drain plug. Little to late for me had to have the carbs cleaned for the first time this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I wont run ethenol in anything I own but it looks like I wont have a choice in the near future.I guess this problem is like when they did away with leaded gas.Adapt and overcome lol.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slipped Cork View Post
    I wont run ethenol in anything I own but it looks like I wont have a choice in the near future.I guess this problem is like when they did away with leaded gas.Adapt and overcome lol.

Its really no big deal. Its all we have been able to get for over 10 years now here in my area.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that the Ethanol can cause damage to smaller engines, lawnmowers, blowers, weedeaters, generators, etc. Anyone know if there is any truth to it?
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

reaper, I heard the same thing, what I heard is the ethanol will eat up rubber gaskets and such in the same fashion as the gas bulb mentioned above. I don't know if it is true since this was just coffee shop talk, but I found one gas station in my town that is a "no ethanol" gas station so I've started buying all my fuel there.
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast