Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best fish caught while crappie fishing other than.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best fish caught while crappie fishing other than.....

Crappie. Caught a 10 pound northern pike in Minnesota while back from school in summer of 74'. White head jig, purple tail, tipped with a minnow, 4lb stren. Four and a half foot one piece Fenwick glass rod they used to call the Fen-Flea. Cardinal 3 reel, rear drag was a plus for sure in the 20 min. fight. Pulled up ancher and drifted out to the middle of the lake. Finally got him to the boat and the net was too small, grabbed him by the eyes ( they used to do that in the old days). Flopped loose in the boat and really started to knock stuff around. Hooked him just on the outside edge of the mouth thank goodness. Good part is that I was fishing with 3 old pals. I guess this was a "Best fishing memory" thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best non-crappie catch

Caught a 47lb flat head at a local power plant lake. I will have to dig up the photo and scan it. Back before digital magic.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

Post Thanks / Like

36 pound flathead caught while fishing with my dad. I was a little boy 7 or 8 years old. That fish looked 10 feet long. I have been hooked on fishing ever since.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best non-crappie catch

My best non-crappie catch would have to be a 56 lb. 5 1/2 ft Barracuda.

Talk about a fight....it nearly took 45 minutes to get him near the boat....I have pictures somewhere, I will have to find those jokers too.....

That day we caught 12 Barracuda, 1 King Mackeral (about 34 lbs.), and a Cobia (about 20-ish lbs.) down in Savannah......

Talk about a fun trip!!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I caught a 6.2lb geen carp and my buddy caught a 17.5lb blue. Both were caught on 12 ft fiberglass poles with no reel and 1/16oz jigs. It was a blast to watch my buddy with that cat. He was in another boat and that cat was pulling him all over the place. All he could do was hold on. Both had swallowed the jig or else they would have never been landed.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Well I was impressed by my 20 lb flathead while crappie fishing, but not after I saw the post about the 47 and 36er.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 47lb not so big anymore

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    Well I was impressed by my 20 lb flathead while crappie fishing, but not after I saw the post about the 47 and 36er.
    If you caught yours on crappie gear, then I am also impressed. I was fishing for flathead when I caught mine. I was well prepared for the fight.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

Post Thanks / Like

Well Scrap...since we are all being honest...I will be fully honest too. Yes it was on a 6 foot crappie rod, and on a kalins curly tail.....BUT I was using 10/2 power pro. So, I was never in much danger of having the line break. But I couldn't get him off the bottom for about 20 minutes. Didn't have the backbone in the rod.

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My partner caught a 10 1/2 pound largemouth on 6 pound test with a chartruese grub while crappie fishing.

Just a couple of weeks ago i tried to land a channel catfish that if it weighed an ounce it was 35 pounds. Tightlining for crappie on Wilson lake. Tried to grab it by the tail and it broke off.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

4# spotted bass on ultralight with 4# test. He hit a jig with a spiiner blde on it. That was just last week. Have also caught several 3# and 4# striped bass too. Hooked something last night that went deep and Iplyed him for about 10 sec before it broke off.
    If I was better I'd be twins

Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast