Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Law Enforcement

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Law Enforcement

I just posted this on Hummingbird blog and thought I would share with you.

Five years ago a young man and his car disappeared. Law enforcement searched for him, fund raisers were held and his family and friends prayed for his safe return. He never was found until a few months ago.

A catfisherman was fishing the Wabash river in Terre Haute, IN near the launching ramp next to a park by the YWCA. Many fisherman and boaters launched from this site, not realizing that a car with the young man was on the bottom near the ramp. The fisherman was tired of be hung up, so he dove down and found a car. He contacted police and divers recovered the car and the missing young man who was inside. Finally, closure for the family and friends.

This past weekend I took my nephew catfishing at Turtle Creek lake near Sullivan. When we arrived, my friend the security guard told me that a boat had capsized with three people and they had to rescue them. The boat was upside down by the first island. I volunteered to pull it in, which I did.

When we reached the boat dock, the local DNR officer was there and thanked me. He noticed my new 997 and I told him that I was looking forward to going to the river and scan the area by the boat dock where the young man was found. He told me that his district has two 997 and that they scanned the area and had already recovered a car from the same launching ramp. I said - DARN. I was hoping to find one.

He said don't be disappointed because they had found two, but only recovered one. The other is still on the bottom and should show up on my unit. If it looks good, I will post it.

Wouldn't it be nice if all of us who have SI could take a few moments and scan the ramps when we launch or come in. Would be a great help to law enforcement and families of missing persons.

I am also going to post this on crappie.com since many have SI units.

Post your results. I know we can help.

Chuck Auten
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

A guy found a crashed airplain near the launch where I fish alot. He had just purchased a 997 the day before. These things are really neat.

Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if he would share a picture of the plane? If everyone took an extra few minutes, we could help a lot of people.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

I have worked for several years with teamwatterssonar in various searches and I can tell you we look around every remote road leading to the water and also every ramp there are untold amounts of cars and things that have been found for more info go to teamwatterssonar.com they are some of the nicest and best people in the country and no one has more water time with these side imaging units then them
    CrappieGeorge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yeah, and if they become such a good...

law enforcement aid maybe they would subsidize the cost...naw, never mind.:p

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie George, great website - teamwatterssonar.com - This is the first that I have heard about the use of SI. I am going to contact them to see if we may meet for lunch. Maybe I can help while in Florida.

Thanks for your help and info. Catch a bunch of crappie and be safe.

Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 797 and I'm not at all impressed with it

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 997, very impressed with it. A lot to learn, but the benefits are unlimited. Looking forward to using it on Weiss for crappies in October and then over christmas.

If you are having problems, go to:

Unofficial Humminbird Side Image Forums www.sideimageforums.com :: Index

This is a good bulletin board and Hummingbird responds well as other SI users.

I have been trying to find a school or seminar that would help teach me in using the SI unit. Have you heard of one?

See you on the lake.

Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Default thank you that was a good read

After reading this I am reminded of another time when the 997's was new. This was in the St. Louis Post newspaper. Two men during the winter was out playing with there new toy (the 997) on the Mississippi River near Alton, IL. They found a car in the river that police had been looking for for several years. They knew where it went in but could not find it, the river in that area was very dark and drivers could not find it. These two fisherman did and they knew what they find because they could see the woman's body in the car on the 997. The car was laying in a hole in the river. I know this has been posted in here before but thought I would again.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuckauten View Post
    I have a 997, very impressed with it. A lot to learn, but the benefits are unlimited. Looking forward to using it on Weiss for crappies in October and then over christmas.

If you are having problems, go to:

Unofficial Humminbird Side Image Forums www.sideimageforums.com :: Index

This is a good bulletin board and Hummingbird responds well as other SI users.

I have been trying to find a school or seminar that would help teach me in using the SI unit. Have you heard of one?

See you on the lake.

Chuck
    Have not heard of one. I have been on that Humminbird forum and did get some answers. But both higher models look better because of the pixels on the screen and the HZ on the transducer is almost twice as much. Nothing I can do about it unless I want to upgrade to the bigger units. My friend that is a guide on Weiss has a 797 also and really does not like it. He told me he will just get Humminbird to upgrade his since they sponser him anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast