Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Weiss Crappie in the Summer Heat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weiss Crappie in the Summer Heat?

Any advice for catching specks in this summer heat on Weiss? My 5 yr old daughter wants to go out with Daddy and I hate to drag her out if we're going to strike out... don't want to sour her on fishing altogether.

Minnows still the way to go now? Trolling?

Are they deep in channels this time of year? Over brushpiles?

Any areas you like? We're in Yellow Creek but can travel...

I have the coordinates from Anglers Unlimited when I joined int he spring but don't know which ones would be good candidates this time of year.

Thanks for your help folks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weiss Summer Crappie

Newgene,

Bottom bumping is your friend this time of year! I am assuming you know how to tie a bottom bumping rig. I like minnows but jigs might work as well.

Look for structure right on the breaks of the river channel. Concentrate yourself in 10-14 feet of water but the key is to stay around the lip of the channel.

Try the mouth of Yellow Springs. Also try the Coosa channel from the powerlines down to Bay Springs. I always do fairly well in that stretch. Look for brush on your depthfinder and really hammer those areas where you find structure.

Your daughter probably won't be able to shoot docks as that takes a lot of practice for an adult, but once the sun gets up in the day, you can always find some fish under deep water docks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the great advice. I have a good GPS/sonar so I'll do my best to locate some structure on the lip of the channel and see how we do tomorrow.