Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What Am I Doing Wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Am I Doing Wrong?

Went night slabbin last night after a very successful day of fishing. I was really on the fish all afternoon. After that I went drifting to catch a few saugeye. THEN, I returned to my hot spot for night slabbin.
    I HAD NO LUCK AT ALL. I put in my green hydro light about 2 -3 ft deep and a floating white light on the other side. Had Plankton and Minnies all around in less then 20 minutes. I then stayed 3hrs with all this going on with-out a BITE. Why wasn't I catching any crappies or any other species either. I was fishing with minnies about 3 ft down and never had a bump. Anyone have any ideas to help me.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like to me they moved on, as they run in schools.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Try fishing a little deeper and away from the lites some. Also fish closer in the fallen tree and out away fromthe tree some. They will be around the coves you are fishing there on Peidmont. Also, them toothie critters come shallow to feed when night falls so if you have a drop off close by try that too. Them toothie critters can upset your apple cart really fast when you are expecting a lille ole crappie. You shouldn't have to move to much but they will be around fairly close. Ferdi aka Fred Sure miss fishing that lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Ferdi
    My partner and I were wondering about the toothie suckers too. I know you will be hot and heavy into slabs then all of a sudden they are gone. Then a red dorsel fin will appear in the distance. I hate Muskies!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for the input and let me know if you ever get back around here, I would be happy to take you out. Piedmont has really come to peak in the last 10 years.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Fished last night, all fish were hanging out under the light (includes baitfish) Light was just under the surface, all fish were caught 9' or deeper.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink I'm like Ferdi ...

Quote Originally Posted by bttmline View Post
    Went night slabbin last night after a very successful day of fishing. I was really on the fish all afternoon. After that I went drifting to catch a few saugeye. THEN, I returned to my hot spot for night slabbin.
    I HAD NO LUCK AT ALL. I put in my green hydro light about 2 -3 ft deep and a floating white light on the other side. Had Plankton and Minnies all around in less then 20 minutes. I then stayed 3hrs with all this going on with-out a BITE. Why wasn't I catching any crappies or any other species either. I was fishing with minnies about 3 ft down and never had a bump. Anyone have any ideas to help me.
    Tim
    I think you weren't fishing quite deep enough. If the light was 2-3ft deep, and the baitfish were around it, and you were fishing your minnies around 3ft deep ... chances are that your minnies were lost in the crowd. :D

Crappie will hang out in the shadowland, and come up to the bottom of the circling baitfish, when they want to try and snag a meal. By putting your minnies away from the light, and deeper than the bottom of the baitfish school ... you're making it easier for them to get "your" offering.

Could also have been that the fish had fed real good during the day/evening, and weren't all that hungry during those first three hours of darkness. Even so, if I'm nightstalking, and don't get a bite within an hour of setting up and drawing in baitfish ... I'm moving to another location

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Try fishing in deeper water then you may do okay. I like 12ft of water to setup. I have a floating light. Never used any green light. Green may be okay I don't know. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Ken. This time of the year I always nightstalk at a minimum depth of 8 ft. If it's slow at that depth, then I go deeper. Don't fish directly around the lights. Fish the outer limits of your vision. Good luck.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try fishing deeper than the bait is, and also if no bites 45-50 minutes after the bait starts to show up, it's best to move on and find somewhere else. Usually if there's no bites after 45 minutes, there aren't gonna be.