Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you remove the Y-bones?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you remove the Y-bones?

Just wondering ..I have seen a couple of crappie filleting videos in the last while but I haven't seen anyone remove the y-bones. I always have and I did a video today of my technique. Sorry about the lighting... let me know what you think.
    Once I get going I think that I do a crappie start to finish in about 1 1/2 minutes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fYg0Q59Igg
    Ken
    Last edited by siscoken; 08-01-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siscoken View Post
    Just wondering ..I have seen a couple of crappie filleting videos in the last while but I haven't seen anyone remove the y-bones. I always have and I did a video today of my technique. Sorry about the lighting... let me know what you think.
    Once I get going I think that I do a crappie start to finish in about 1 1/2 minutes.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos#
    Ken
    this linke took me to my (mine) videos. Not yours.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

rib cage is all that i ever remove
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

YouTube - Fillet Rainylake Crappie
    I was able to edit original post....thanks Cane Pole
    Last edited by siscoken; 08-01-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siscoken View Post
    YouTube - Fillet Rainylake Crappie

Maybe this one will work
    Ken
    That did it.

I would loose a finger with a knife that sharp.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty neat but you should give an electric knife a go. Much faster for me, anyway.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the look of the filets. I bet they look great fried up that way BUT all I ever do is fillet, flip, skin and then remove rib cage. We lose the whole little part you have on the bottom. Get a piece of corrian (spelling) and place it on top of your cleaning board...Nice and level that way. Good vid. Keep um coming. Out of the gate I do a crappie in about 15-20 seconds with electric knife.
    Last edited by sac-a-lait; 08-01-2008 at 08:02 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Don't want to sound "uninformed" ....

but, I wasn't aware of Crappie actually having "Y bones". Isn't that a Pike family thing ??

I use a elec filet knife, and cut the fish higher on the head (over the eyes) than most people I've seen do, to make up for the lost meat that goes in the trash along with the rib bones. Although I do use the "traditional" scaling/gutting technique on smaller fish ... I still don't worry much about the belly/rib bone meat. I may or may not pick it out with a fork, but normally just cook enough (numbers) to ensure I get all I want/need from the back/tail portion. Family members, that I provide cleaned fish for, wouldn't even accept any traditionally cleaned fish :p ... if it isn't bone free filets, they ain't interested

Watching these videos and reading about the filet knife proceedures, has given me an epiphany, though. I realized why my filet knives dulled so quickly ... I was using them to cut thru the rib bones, like a elec knife does, rather than "scoring" the meat, around them, and avoiding cutting thru the bones. Even so, I think I'll stick with my elec knives, since I've become more comfortable, fast, and proficient with them.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know nothing bout Y bones, but I do know crappies have invisible bones.

Caught 'em in my throat before. Coughed up nothin'. Caught 'em in my nasal before. Snotted up nothin'.

Don't have a clue where them bones go and hide. But I sure knows when they are hung up in the passage ways.

Post Thanks / Like

I filet my fish pretty much the same way. I never worried about the y-bone because I only associated that with Pike. Next time I clean a crappie I will have to inspect it to see if there are any y-bones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast