Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Rod Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Rod Advice

Hey guys - I am trying to cast micro jigs and can't seem to find the right set up. So - let me pose a question to you - what rod or set up do you think would cast a 1/16 oz jig the farthest with no additional weight?

I am most concerned about rod here, but info on reel or line is useful as well.

I am a regular crappie fisherman but also am starting to catch trout in the high water in Arkansas on jigs. The problem is I can't get those micro jigs or micro cranks out there far enough.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is to use a penicl type bobber that adjusts.
    Shipahoy41 has great luck using this method.

read this thread.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...n-fly-rig.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with that suggestion, but if there is a situation where you are casting a single jig or a REALLY small crankbait with no float or added weight - what setup or rod type would you use to be able to cast it.

Post Thanks / Like

7 ft. rod, 2lb. line.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 6'4" All Star rated for 1/32 to 3/8 oz lures. The reel is a 2500 Shimano loaded with 4lb Suffix Elite mono. i think the bigger spool of the 2500 plus the light line is what makes the difference.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Loomis 7 foot ultra light with a Quantum E10PTi-A reel and Sufix Performance Braid 6/2 line. Does a wonderful job casting 1/32 jigs. Recently landed a 14 pound cat with the rig when it ate my 1/32 crappie jig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waxworm View Post
    Hey guys - I am trying to cast micro jigs and can't seem to find the right set up. So - let me pose a question to you - what rod or set up do you think would cast a 1/16 oz jig the farthest with no additional weight?

I am most concerned about rod here, but info on reel or line is useful as well.

I don't consider 1/16 oz to be micro! With 2lb mono or 4lb braid, I can usually cast a 1/64 oz jig around 40'.

There are lots of good rods on the market. Just look for one in your price range that is rated for 2-6lb line. I think Loomis rods are the best, but there are many lower-priced alternatives. Bass Pro's Microlites are good, and you can often find them on sale for $29.99.

In addition to the rod, use the thinnest line you can get away with. I don't use over 4# line for crappie, bluegill and trout. Also, choose a reel with a bigger spool. A lot of people think you've got to use a tiny reel, but they will really cut into your casting distance. Look for something in the 2000/2500 class size.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use a 7ft.6in. grafite rod,and pfluger reel 4lbor 6lb line. line choice is wide open I use mono.and braided. I also have a 6ft.6in. fiberglass rod and pfluger reel and 4lb.test ling and can cast a 1/32 no problem. (no wind) good luck

Post Thanks / Like

BnM has a Sam's Super Sensitive 7' rod that I have and love it. I use it all the time in the spring time casting jigs 1/16 oz. I team it up with a Abu Garcia Cardinal reel. Together is less than $100.

Post Thanks / Like

I find 2lb test to be too fragile. I currently have a UL rig that casts small jig fantastically. All gander mountain gear except the line. 7ft ul IM8 2 piece, Gander mountain tournament spinning reel(rebadged pfleuger president for $10 less) $50 and 4lb test Gamma. This combo compares to rigs I have paid more than twice as much for. I recommend it to anyone who wants a high dollar feel and performance rig for only $100.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast