Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float N Fly rig ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Float N Fly rig ?

Was readin an article on these and it said tie main line to a 3 way swivel then a 6 to 10 ft leader with jig to another eye on swivel then attach a plastic pear shape clip on float to the last eye on swivel. I understand all that but why not just use a slip float instead? Does the float on a swivel somehow enhance action or something? Lost me on this one.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing a small jig under a slip bobber or a fixed float is effective and it is deadly on Crappies. I prefer the sliding float method as it allows me to cast the bait rather than move the boat. The float bobs up and down with the water movement and provides action to the jig. The technique doesn't require any extra movement and the wave movement is all you need. Crappie feed up, watch for your bobber to lay over signaling a bite.

In fairly clear water, a smaller jig will be better. My favorite is the “Electricity” jig that I make. This is my setup.

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    Was readin an article on these and it said tie main line to a 3 way swivel then a 6 to 10 ft leader with jig to another eye on swivel then attach a plastic pear shape clip on float to the last eye on swivel. I understand all that but why not just use a slip float instead? Does the float on a swivel somehow enhance action or something? Lost me on this one.
    I've never heard of anybody doing it that way. I really don't see the need for the swivel. I usually rig it fixed, but a slip float will work, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the point of using the swivel rig either. Takes extra time to rig up...and you lose your ability to quickly adjust how deep your jig will ride.

Post Thanks / Like

O. K. now I don't feel so bad as I fish this way under a slip float alot (more often then not) I just couldn't figure out the swivel and clip on float part. And the author claimed the hardest part was teaching his clients how to cast it with a 10ft leader. Just made no sense.

Post Thanks / Like

What type stop knot do you tie? I'm talking about the one to stop float. I have tried store bought plastics and don't really like them. Have also used small rubber bands and really have to watch them as they will slip. Thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g31448 View Post
    What type stop knot do you tie? I'm talking about the one to stop float. I have tried store bought plastics and don't really like them. Have also used small rubber bands and really have to watch them as they will slip. Thanks for any info.
    I use the premade thread knots from the store about 25 to a package like $3.00. And by the way welcome and I like your name I got the same boat. Oh nevermind I just read your first post.I got the plain boat and rigged it myself.
    Last edited by huntinslabs; 07-31-2008 at 07:07 PM.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stop Knot

Quote Originally Posted by g31448 View Post

I carry Dental Floss in my tackle box. Makes a great stop knot. Here's how.

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Hey Huntinslabs ...

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    That article was probably directed at using a "float-n-fly" setup for Smallmouth Bass. Slipfloats are not recommended, in their case, due to the chance that the very light weight of the jig may not pull the line through it. The three way swivel is just a connecting point for the main line/float/leader. Most use braid as a main line, and clear mono or fluorocarbon leader. They also use a counterbalanced float ... usually a foam float that's been cut open and lead weights introduced inside, for the purpose of making the float somewhat top heavy. When the rig is sitting still, in the water, the float sits upright, as it's balanced to do so ... but, when a fish takes the jig in it's mouth, the float rolls over on its side from the reduced weight ... indicating a hit.
    Basically, it was a Crappie setup that proved deadly on Smallmouth ... and adapted and tweaked for use by Smallmouth anglers. Seemed the Crappie anglers were "complaining" about catching Smallmouth on their setup (bobber & jig), and the rest is history. :D

Don't feel too bad, though, about your questions concerning the three way swivel, and its necessity to the equation .... even the Bass guys argue the point :p It all boils down to personal preference, experience, and whose ideas one wishes to follow.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

That's it Shipahoy, many thanks. Nice and simply knot, I will have to check out the Grog's knot site and see what they call it. This is why I joined this site. Thanks a lot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast