Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Texas Night Stalking

Post Thanks / Like

Default West Texas Night Stalking

Its been way too long since Ive been able to post a report in the crappie boards but finally got my chance Sat. night.

Jarred (westtxfisherman),my son in law Gavin (techsanfan) and myself were able to meet up at Alan Henry last night for some nighttime crappie action.

Weather finally cooperated and we had a beautiful west texas sunset to get the evening started right.Jarred suggested we place a little friendly wager for the first,most and largest crappie caught during the night.We reached our spot just before dusk.Got anchored up and started setting our gear for the action to begin.My highlight of the night was, no sooner had I set my first rod to the depth we felt would be productive, THUMP,landed a small dink,but was good enough for the first phase of the wager

Jarred proceeded to put on a clinic for the next four hours landing crappie after crappie to amass a significant lead in the MOST category. He even had a first for him.A double, on a two jig rig

He, at this point had a double digit lead on the rest of the competition

Gavin,then went to work on the third phase of our trifecta.He has been on numerous crappie outings with me over the years but the true barndoor slabs have evaded him.Before last night a decent 12
    " crappie was his personal best.Not only did he surpass that mark,he did it three different times.His winning entry into the competition was a 16 1/4" 1.75 # SLAB !!!!

We thought all night long he had finally broke the two # mark,it was close but not quite there.

All in all it was a fantastic night to be on the water.We were on a great pattern for 9 to 9 7/8" fish.Total count was 3 fish shy of the century mark,but keepers were not the majority of what we caught.I think we brought home 13-14 fish,but all were 13" or better.Good quality crappie with 3 right at the 16 " mark.

I did my best to keep my fish count low for the night ,as to not detract from the enjoyment of the two youngsters
    Thats my story and Im sticking to it!!!!

Good times with some good friends and we will do it again !!!!

"Only Death will end my love affair with Texas"........... Bob Bullock

Post Thanks / Like

that crappie in the third picture is extremely small i don't think i've ever seen one caught that small. looks like ya'll had a good time a caught some quality fish.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report and congrats on a good fishing trip.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

some good fish and nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good trip.
    It's all over but the fryin'......

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

nice report and pictures
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Call the big ones "Stud" Crappie. Measure them from one stud to another in the house. 16" on center. Looks like you guys had a big time. Nice fish.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking catch and it sounds like you got a few good ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Rad them are some good looking Crappie. I just moved my oldest into the Hunters Way Apartments there in Lubbock. I am going to have to go check out Alan Henry when I come see her
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

Let me know when your coming out here Gordon.We may have to get together and go chase some.
    "Only Death will end my love affair with Texas"........... Bob Bullock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast