Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspened for the summer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Suspened for the summer?

I've noticed very large groups of fish on sonar that are "suspended" and just don't seem to want to bite. Are these crappie (who suspend it the summer according to the books and magazines)? Fish are of all sizes but many are really big. Depths typically 3-14 feet. I've tried trolling and casting minnows, tubes, grubs, hair jigs and power baits, but nothing seems to work. If I had a drag net I'd fill the darn boat with them. Their just happy to hold and not feed at all? None of them will strike? Day or Night?
    Has anybody else experienced this?
    Anyone have a reasonable explanation about this fish behavior?

I'm stumped

Post Thanks / Like

Its summer and its hot. Even us humans don't move around much when it is hot outside. We just laz around. Well so do the fish. Wait until the nights get into the low 60's and then they will start feeding for the winter months coming up.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Prowler ...

could be a school of large Shad .... and the "really big" fish could be Gar, or even large Cats.
    If you can use your depth finder to find the Thermocline, I'm betting it's around 15ft down :p ... you may want to try some stands of trees, fallen trees, brushpiles, etc that are in 10-15ft of water, and see if the Crappie are hiding in there. Sounds like the open water is full of 'scary things' and the Crappie may be sulking in the shade

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with CP, also make sure your sensitivity on your graph isnt set to high that can make for more clutter on your graph to appear.

I've not been targeting crappie so much in the heat, but have been trolling for some hybrids. The fish we are catching are right at 15 ft deep, which like CP said is where the thermocline has set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually with your sensitivity turned up you can spot the small grey line of the thermocline......here in MIssissippis big four that is as cane pole says 15 ft. or so. However; those fish hanging out in large numbers over drop offs, ledges, next to creek channels, and over flats don't always mean "scary things".....could very well be loose schools of crappie, and yes they will be pretty slow on the bite on dog days......I have found that crappie will react out of instinct and strike if you'll troll a crankbait right above them around 2.0 mph or so. Its proably this way with alot of the crappie we catch this time of year. But be aware and hold on ...they could be scary things, too.
    Meet a resonable man halfway everytime....don't meet an unresonable man at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Nightprowler...When the fish in open water have me puzzled I like to switch to a baitfish and slow-retrieve or drift it, in the case of your lake, through about 10-14' water. Since fish don't bite constantly I'd go back every few hours if possible to see if a bite has started. Don't know what species are in your lake but it seems that fish such as white bass, hybrids and stripers won't open their mouths for anything when they're resting. Don't think crappie are quite that bad but I know they really get slow in between feeding times too.

Post Thanks / Like

One sitck of dynimite, one lead weight, then you'll know. (and probably go to jail but you'll know)

Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

How about soaking the Rubber toys in Garlic juice, or Anise oil?
    Anybody tried that.
    Down here we have deep clear water, and lots of suspended fish, and nobody's catching.

It's a puzzler!
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I catch those suspended fish pretty regularly. I keep changing jig colors and sizes until i find the one they want. Always tip them with a nibble. If i have to fish the jig under a bobber to keep it in their face, thats what i'll do. Fish slow to start out and increase your speed until you find how fast they'll chase it. Be patient and consistent. It'll pay off when you find the pattern. These fish were suspended over a brushpile in 15ft water today. I've fished this area numerous times and have the pattern figured out, so it didn't take long to get them in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

confused!!! same place you relocated your pvc today or what??? same pic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast