Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Newbie/Rookie from Bama

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie/Rookie from Bama

Well I have been stalking around the forum for a couple of years and descided to add my .02 every once and a while, along with asking some questions.

I live about 10 min from Lake Jordan, 20 min from Lake Martin, and 15 Min from the Coosa River so I figure hey, why not try fishing. Let me explain, I like to catch fish, I don't have the patience to sit in the boat all day, LOL. My passion is Turkey hunting and Waterfowl hunting. I have a friend that started taking me crappie fishing last year after turkey season and to say the least I am hooked. I know little to nothing, but I do come home with a cooler full of fish, We fish at night underlights and during the day. My wife says its just another way to keep me from cutting the grass.

Anyway I also have what you say is a mentor, my restaurant managers brother has fished Lake Jordan every day for 47 years and man does he know the tricks. My son and I went with them Saturday and I learned more in 6 hours than the last year of playing around. Mr. Gus doesn't need a gps his mind is his gps. What jig to use, spoon, line, how to present it, it was awsome. I watched him reel in crappie after crappie. Then I descided to just watch. When the jig hit the water count to seven and then close the bail, count to 10 after that and then slow reel with a twitch. All I had to do was watch and listen and we had fish in the cooler. It was a blast. Mr. Gus or Papa John would say your realing too fast, slow down. Change now to small spoon and bounce it on the bottom. My son kept saying, "They have a scuba diver down there" LOL it was funny, but when we got it down pat we were hanging with them.

I look forward to learning some tricks and sharing some stories with ya'll.

Screen name has nothing to do with fishing, but it was one of my favorite guns before it got stolen. I use the same screen name on a turkey hunting and duck hunting forum.
    Last edited by Beretta686; 05-09-2005 at 11:29 AM.
    If I was better I'd be twins

Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Beretta686,

Sounds like you live in the ideal location!!!! I live in Montgomery and have been crappie fishing some at Wind Creek Lake Martin. Want to fish more at Jordan and Mitchell Lake in the future. Fished Wind Creek Sat AM without much luck 3 over 9". Been a weird spring!

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

WElcome!!Sounds like you"ve got a real good teacher there-sometimes you learn alot more by just observing!!Good Fishin To Ya!!!Dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com