Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great, Simple Recipe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great, Simple Recipe

This is sort of a variation of a recipe posted earlier. I told my wife we were having fish for dinner and she kind of rolled eyes. I asked what her problem was and she said she was trying to watch her calories. I was going to point out that she should have taken that step 20lbs ago but thought better of it. I took the fillets and put them in a ziplock with a tablespoon of Dijon mustard. We had a change of plans and the fillets remained in the mustard til the next day. I had planned to roll them in bread crumbs but discovered we didn't have any. I took some saltine crackers and put them in a food processor and beat em up til they formed a coarse crumb. Then I simply rolled the fillets in the crumbs and put them on a cookie sheet in a preheated 450 degree oven til they started to brown. The bottom browns alot more than the top so I flipped em over on the plate for presentation purposes. They were absolutly fantastic. Even my 6 and 4 year old loved em.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    This is sort of a variation of a recipe posted earlier. I told my wife we were having fish for dinner and she kind of rolled eyes. I asked what her problem was and she said she was trying to watch her calories. I was going to point out that she should have taken that step 20lbs ago but thought better of it. I took the fillets and put them in a ziplock with a tablespoon of Dijon mustard. We had a change of plans and the fillets remained in the mustard til the next day. I had planned to roll them in bread crumbs but discovered we didn't have any. I took some saltine crackers and put them in a food processor and beat em up til they formed a coarse crumb. Then I simply rolled the fillets in the crumbs and put them on a cookie sheet in a preheated 450 degree oven til they started to brown. The bottom browns alot more than the top so I flipped em over on the plate for presentation purposes. They were absolutly fantastic. Even my 6 and 4 year old loved em.
    sounds great. thats next on my things to do next list...
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up recipe

Another good substitue for the bread crumbs is crushed rice crispies. I have used these several times and they work great. You can also use chicken, pork chops or pretty much any kind of meat that you like baked.
    P.S. I think it was a great ideal of (for) you to NOT mention the bit about the 20lbs to your wife. We would like for you to keep making post!! LOL!
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a winner to me!!!! I might be giving that a try really soon!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ok

Similar thing happened to me as did Kunes, 'cept I had some crutons. Beat the crap out of them with a meat tenderizer hammer. Dipped in mustard, then fry daddyed them...yum yum....
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Rice crispies huh Good thinking (Shadow) Have to try that one

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shadow--I did the mustard, Rice Krispies trick on chicken last nite and it was a hit. I seasoned the krispies with salt and thyme. Also, since they don't brown up in the oven quite as nice as fried, I put a pinch of paprika in the mix. Worked great.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Crushed potato chips(any flavor) work well. I like bbq and intend to try salt & vinegar some time. I've heard of people using cheetos but have not tried them.

Post Thanks / Like

it works if you use the ritz crackers all crushed up too
    Life is what you make of it...

Post Thanks / Like

Did four fillets in the mustard dipped recipe last evening, just to try it. I need to go fishing, that is one top shelf way to do crappie fillets!
    Worked out great for two reasons:
    1) it's not fried
    2) I'm the only one in the household that likes mustard. Mrs. Zig and the boys all tried a piece, but said they preferred the fried way. (they don't care for mustard) That's ok....................more for me! :p

I added Old Bay to bread crumbs, baked at 350º for 20 minutes, turning them at 10 minutes.

Thanks to everyone who added their own little tricks - they are all keepers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast