Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flys on a spinning outfit?

Post Thanks / Like

Default flys on a spinning outfit?

whats the best rod length,line weight to use to fish flys on a spinning reel. i have not tried this yet so all info would be great also should i use a float of some sort?

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on quite a few things. How are you planning on fishing them? Where are you planning on fishing them? For what kind of fish? The flies are to light to cast without some other kind of weight, so what kind of weight are you going to add? Will it be split shot or a float or a combo of both? I have used flies for catching trout while using a spinning reel, and what I have done was add a small float that has some weight to it and then have fished them as you would a jig. I would recommend a long and flexable rod. You will need it to cast the light fly and weight.

Post Thanks / Like

was going to do this to catch gills and bass in a lake or creek

Post Thanks / Like

They make a weight specifically for this. It is called a 'casting bubble' and is a clear plastic ball-like float with rubber stoppers. You can fill the float partially with water to make it any weight you want.

Tie the line to the bubble, the fly leader to the bubble, and cast away.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

where can i get the clear bubbles

Post Thanks / Like

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Hey Mudbug ...

Quote Originally Posted by 78mudbug View Post
    where can i get the clear bubbles
    check here :
    http://www.rainbowplastics.com/cart/...1488d499d9a2d7
    If you don't want to buy a dozen @ $7.00 directly from them .... you can purchase singles for less than $1.00/ea (here's two places I found online) -- Rainbow Plastics or Rainbow Fishing Floats & Accessories - J&M Hunting Supplies & Marine or look for them at your local tackle shop, or WallyWorld. You will, of course, have to consider S/H costs vs gas costs ... I listed the mfg's website, so you'd see what they looked like and who makes them, for reference, as I don't know which model you'd be most interested in. You can also do a websearch for "Rainbow Plastics floats" ... and find several more outlets to purchase from ... but, the price differences between them is small. I didn't check the S/H cost differences, but they are usually pretty high .... running 5-8 dollars per order which would make purchasing a single float, online, an expensive venture.

I've used the "Torpedo" version (clear plastic). At 1/8 - 1/4oz ... the float is heavy enough to cast as far as you'd want to, without extra weight (lead or water).

I'd use a 7-8ft rod and 6-8lb main line .. with 4lb leader. But, a shorter rod with smaller line will work. Just be sure and have a reel with a good drag system, or know how to "backreel" to play a larger fish.

I used to use this type of float/setup to cast small jigs to surface feeding White Bass. Back then (say, oh ... about 45yrs ago :p ) I was using a 6ft fiberglass rod & closed face spincast reel w/8lb test mono. And don't be surprised if/when a fish smacks the float, and ignores the fly :D Just have another rod handy, rigged with a Tiny Torpedo or Zara Puppy ... and cast back to the spot where the fish hit your float (Note : Bass are notorius about hitting a topwater float, or hookless "plunker")

("Plunker" is a name given to floats or hookless topwater popper baits, when used in the "Plunker & Fly" setup. Basically it's just used as "weight", to cast farther, and as an attractant, from the popping noise/splash ... simulating another fish smacking at a minnow on the surface.)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

a lot of guys i know and myself use a weighted bobber a foot or so above the poppers when brim fishing. the brim dont seem to pay them no attention. you can use one of the clear casting bobbers, but like i said, they dont seem to pay the orange weighted bobbers any attention. use a small one, just big enough to cast your popper.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info guys

Post Thanks / Like

Besides what's been mentioned, another way is to use no casting bubble or float, just put a splitshot on your line (4-lb. test) about a foot above your fly. (Fly could be a white or silvery streamer for colored water, or a drab Woolly Bugger or nymph for clear water.) Allows you to fish deeper than when using a bubble, if that's where your fish are. Will work for casting/retrieving or drifting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast