Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving beds

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Moving beds

Has anyone tried to move their unproductive pvc beds? I've had one in for over a year and never see or catch any fish from it. What do you use too pull it up and does it stay together?

Post Thanks / Like

I have moved some of our wooden stakebeds but they had only been in for a few months. We moved one that had been in for a year and almost couldn't move it. After setting for a while, I think sediment settles in around it and it kinda grows to the bottom. After we did move it, it fell apart and dissappeared. We found parts of it that have floated up on the bank. We used a big treble hook that we had made out of rebar. You can try moving your beds but your success depends on the construction of the bed. I'd move it if I was you because if you ain't catchin' fish, your just waistin' material and if it does get ripped to shreds you haven't lost anything because it wasn't doing any good.
    The only way to have a good fishing spot is to make it yourself!

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine was putting buckets with stakes in them on KY Lake. He was positioning them with his gps but was having problems finding them later. He, like many of us, was building them with the bucket bail up so they were easier to handle and place. He had just dropped a load on a creek channel and had gone back to his house to get another load. The ramp was about 1/2 mile from where he had just placed the buckets. When he got back to the ramp, he noticed a familiar boat right where he had placed the last load. When he motored out to the channel, he found a local guide pulling his buckets up with a grappling hook. There are bubbles that keep coming up from fresh sunk buckets for some time and I guess the guide was zeroing in on those. It was obvious the guide had been watching Bill and as soon as he loaded up, the guide went to work. After Bill had a series of choice words for the guide and threatened to break the guy's legs, he stopped having trouble finding his buckets. I realize that once an object is sunk, it become public property but many of us found this to be ridiculous that someone who makes his living off the lake would be so low as to move a man's hard work so it would only benefit himself.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Hey Dux ....

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    A friend of mine was putting buckets with stakes in them on KY Lake. He was positioning them with his gps but was having problems finding them later. He, like many of us, was building them with the bucket bail up so they were easier to handle and place. He had just dropped a load on a creek channel and had gone back to his house to get another load. The ramp was about 1/2 mile from where he had just placed the buckets. When he got back to the ramp, he noticed a familiar boat right where he had placed the last load. When he motored out to the channel, he found a local guide pulling his buckets up with a grappling hook. There are bubbles that keep coming up from fresh sunk buckets for some time and I guess the guide was zeroing in on those. It was obvious the guide had been watching Bill and as soon as he loaded up, the guide went to work. After Bill had a series of choice words for the guide and threatened to break the guy's legs, he stopped having trouble finding his buckets. I realize that once an object is sunk, it become public property but many of us found this to be ridiculous that someone who makes his living off the lake would be so low as to move a man's hard work so it would only benefit himself.
    Wouldn't it have been a lot less work/trouble, for the guide, to have just GPS'd the spots Guess he figured he knew better places for them :rolleyes: ... or else he didn't have a GPS (he must not have been much of a guide, if he had to steal another mans attractors )

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Wouldn't it have been a lot less work/trouble, for the guide, to have just GPS'd the spots Guess he figured he knew better places for them :rolleyes: ... or else he didn't have a GPS (he must not have been much of a guide, if he had to steal another mans attractors )

... cp
    He probably has GPS just wanted to move them so mrdux friend couldn't find them.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

If I have non producing buckets I make new ones, and sink those.
    I just can't see why a guide would do that. What an a**.
    Bill
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 07-30-2008 at 07:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

really, really low
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Look at this from the perspective of a deer hunter. If the spot isn't producing, a hunter will move the stand. I would suggest moving your structure to another spot. I think sixfin summed it up quite well. If it isn't producing now and you try to move it and it breaks up you really aren't out anything. I am thinking that since they are made out of pvc and not wood your chances of having a succesful move is pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

chaunc I have moved a few of mine using a weighted treble hook about 5 inches long, It may take a few minutes to get it to hook on to a good place to pull them up. If you cant find any around there let me know and I will send ya one

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My uncle gave me a big steel hook to try. I'm going to give it a shot today. This PVC tree was given to me as a promotional gift to test there product a couple years ago. It hasn't produced any fish at all where i put it. I just dont want to pass judgement on it until i try a better location. It was placed in an ice-fishing bay. Gonna try to move it to a summer location.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast