Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Newbie For Stripers

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie For Stripers

I just started striper fishing Clarke Hill Lake. Today made my 3rd time targeting these fish. I'm eager to learn what I can while the crappie aint doing much on my home lake (Russell) right now. Tactics I've been using is fishing the deeper holes and slow trowing downlines with live herring on them. First trip I got lucky and landed one weighing 19 lbs:p. Me and my son fish together and the first two times I went atleast one of us has had an opportunity for a pretty big fish. Problem is the crappy equipment (not crappie:rolleyes we have been using trying to catch these fish. I've been working pretty hard and fast getting geared up with a couple outfits apiece to solve some of our problems with equipment or just plain too undersized equipment. Now I'm looking to pick up a few striper rods for heavier fish and we'll be set.

Looks like for now, the best bites we're getting is 4-8' off the bottom, and as mentioned, a very slow troll. Problem is we're only catching very few fish.

This morning I went solo since my son was working and I was off. I went back to the hole we've both caught a decent fish at. While slow trolling I marked about a dozen (what looked like) big fish on the graph. Even had one come up and look at the bait and turn deep again. No bites in the holes so I moved to another area. In this spot the water was generally 25' but then I trolled over a hole where the water dropped another 10' and started marking fish. Started getting bit about 8' off the bottom. Could see the fish on the finder come up to the baits and the rods go back down. That was pretty cool! Anyway, these were small fish (1-2 lbs trying to swallow large herring) but still glad to be catching SOMETHING. (It surprised me how even the smaller fish can put up such a fight too.) A friend here on crappie.com told me to save a few small ones and fry the fillets like you would crappie after removing the red meat and they'd suprise me so I kept the 7 small fish I caught. During thge morning I pulled a 5 lber. or so to the top and when I reached for the net that fish made a run and off he came right beside the boat. And you guess it, had one fish to bury the rod down into the water and under the boat and before I could get it out of the rod holder the crappy baitcasting reel I was using (with one tooth broke off the main gear) hung up, locked the drag and that was over too. Well, all water under the bridge. Tomorrow is a new day with better equipment ready to go and the sorry stuff throwed on a shelf now.

I do have one question though....maybe two::D. My biggest question is, is there any advice on how you guys go about locating the fish? Do you motor around idling looking for fish on the graph or what? Do you just scout water before or after fishing looking for holes to fish in on your next trip or do you do all that when fishing by just using the trolling motor?

And my last question is (for now anyways) am I missing a different style of fishing that I should be trying on these fish that I aint using? Right now all I'm doing is pulling downlines with a 1 & 1/2 oz. sinker on them keeping the bait fairly close to the bottom. I'm bumping the trolling motor on low speed just enough to keep the boat "drifting" very slow. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Sorry

Unable to help, all my striper/hybrid fishing is in lakes, never rivers. Perhaps bearclaw or some of the other can help. Good fishin`. possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

Post Thanks / Like

Default stripers / nomads

Bowman,I sometimes do more riding and looking for them than actual fishing.They move a lot.I was a a seminar once and they guy said they tagged one fish,he swam 13 miles one day.I caught a tagged fish thatwas 176 miles from where he was tagged .I go to my "usual" spots and check them out first,I like to mark fish before I put down but sometimes I cant mark what I feel is stripers so I end up riding and just putting down.You dont allways have to mark fish to catch them.Same as you on the slow just bumping the trolling motor.I have started using planer boards almost every time now and you have to move so they will pull out and away.In the springtime when cut bait fishing,I dont try to mark fish,I just go to a likely spot,hump flat or a dropoff ,ancor and cast.The planer boards will help you cover more water,they are a little aggravating but hey,I'll trade a little of that for some fish anytime.I use small line with a loose drag,with light action downrigger rods for downrods ,med action for the boardsand medium heavy for the cutbait fishing.The real limber rods dont jerk the bait up and down as hard with waves and traffic so I feel they help the bait live longer.A good bait tank is almost a must for the summertime fishing,its a big $$$$ investment but worth it,When livebait fishing for keeps /the cooler ,I allways use a #6 treble hook rig
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD

Post Thanks / Like

Clarks Hill is one of the best striper lakes around for catching fish from small to HUGE!! You are lucky to be fishing there brother.

Post Thanks / Like

first off...i've caught 12" white perch on 6-7" herring... 2nd...at this time of year you need to be fishing the deepest humps and holes. deep as in 60'+ downrods with cut bait or live bait...bigger the better.... we use 2oz sinkers at least... do a carolina rig: egg sinker, bead, swivel, 4"+ leader, goodsize circle hook... at this time of year you'll do best at night or early AM. GO DEEP. also, check your local regs... in SC at this time of year it's 5 fish max, 21" or bigger (you can keep 2 of any size in july and august)..as for cooking striper...the ones around 22" or so make for good eatin... like you said...trim out the red meat for the best flavor. good luck, you fish one of the premier striper impoundment fisheries around.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys ,I got a cabelas fall fishing catalog.It has a new combo,Daiwa accudepth plus/wilderness(ROD) combo$69.98.I have 4 of these reels that I use mostly for pulling planer boards or deep water downrodding.it is nice to not have to count out the line in 2 ft pulls.they have a special $25 off of $150 order.This would make a pretty good striper outfit at a good price...sam
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    Guys ,I got a cabelas fall fishing catalog.It has a new combo,Daiwa accudepth plus/wilderness(ROD) combo$69.98.I have 4 of these reels that I use mostly for pulling planer boards or deep water downrodding.it is nice to not have to count out the line in 2 ft pulls.they have a special $25 off of $150 order.This would make a pretty good striper outfit at a good price...sam
    dood thats awesome thax!