Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What does "Baited Hole" Mean

Post Thanks / Like

Default What does "Baited Hole" Mean

Toledo Bend fishing reports typically say crappie are being caught on "baited holes". What? I never see that term here or on TFF. Anybody know what they mean?

Are they dropping range cubes, alfalfa, corn or whatever or do they mean bait like minnows or what?

Here's the quote from the Holley Park report:

CRAPPIE: Baited holes are the best bet right now with brush in 20 to 30 feet on smallshiners and one-sixteenth ounce blue/white crappie jigs (Stanley Crappie Wedge).

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you hear from someone who knows what exactly they're using at your lake. I know some anglers sink an old hay bale or a burlap sack with a grain product of some kind to attract baitfish and, in turn, crappie. I used to buy a small bag of pellets that I believe was labeled "Crappie Chum" at a tackleshop but haven't seen any for a long time. Have also heard of fishermen keeping a cage of minnows down in a brush pile but don't know if that was very effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Not totally sure what the ones in that report are using, but I do know people that use Range Cubes and some use Sweet Feed. Lots of folks use Cotton Seed Cake. You can get Cotton Seed Cake in block form or thick sheets and put it in a burlap bag to lower it and tie it off to something like a tree and that way you can bring it back up after a while to fill it again. This is probably the best to use and will bring in the minnows and bait fish.

I did have someone the other day tell me about some fish food he used and did well, but sorry I don't remember what it was called.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to check with state. In some it is illegal. I have seen some people use hog pellets off their dock to attract minnows, catfish, crappie, etc.. Some use burlap bags, laundry bags (nylon), wire bags to hold the pellets or throw loose. If you are fishing everyday, it could help. It normally will be gone in a day or two, depending upon how much you use. Good luck.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

So it sounds like ya'll think baited hole means they are dropping down some type of bait or chum. Some responses from others thought it meant just brush. I guess I'm still not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Skip on the "baited hole" it is probably cotton seed cake and they only last a few days to a week. They will bring in baitfish and crappie but the last time I bought any they were pretty expensive. Most feed and seed stores carry it.

Post Thanks / Like

Now you can get it in a 4 pound block and may have a different name, but it's cotton seed cake. May last longer that way I am not sure.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Used to hear of soy logs when I lived in FL. They were mostly used when gathering wild shiners. Guess they would work for Crappies.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

We usally take 3 or 4 cans of dog food punch about 6 holes in them. Tie them to a brickbat so they will stay in the structure. It releases slowly threw the holes over a period of time. Minnows come, then crappie come, Works for us