Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FoodSaver???

Post Thanks / Like

Default FoodSaver???

I own a foodsaver from Sam's($100). I have tried to use it on freezing fish and ducks. I have not been satisfied with it. Is a GameSaver what I need or is the foodsaver just as good? Of course there is some liquid involved, but I am using paper towel inside the bag for moisture. My problems: very few good suction and seals
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by semojoe View Post
    I own a foodsaver from Sam's($100). I have tried to use it on freezing fish and ducks. I have not been satisfied with it. Is a GameSaver what I need or is the foodsaver just as good? Of course there is some liquid involved, but I am using paper towel inside the bag for moisture. My problems: very few good suction and seals
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Try freezing the fish or game for bout 45 min before u put in the bag to seal, this way it makes the liquid a lil less apt to flow when the machine starts sucking
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

A friend that does a lot of saltwater fishing dips his fillets in water shakes off most of it and then lays them on a cookie sheet in the freezer and lets them get a little hard before he puts them up with the food saver. About what Stinkies Daddy says.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have the food saver. I use it for freezing whole smoked chickens, pulled pork with sauce, smoked fish, jerky, and chille. I don't have any problem with sealing.
    Maybe make your bags a little larger to accommodate the moisture being vacuumed.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I try to put my fillets in a good freezer bag, before I use the Food Saver bag...it helps from pulling all the liquid out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your gonna think I'm crazy

You guys are going to think I'm crazy, but I bought one of those Reynolds things from Wal-Mart for like $6 and the bags are reuseable liplock type bags. This thing is incredible! I tossed my food saver in the trash. I have since bought one for my inlaws and brother in law. They all love it too. Does anyone else have one of these? I love mine.

Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I got one too. Pretty neat and does not cost too much.

http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldsk...ac/en/home.asp

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FroggerZ View Post

Reynolds Handi-Vac
    Never owned or used one of the Foodsaver type sealers. But, I've often wondered about the "welding" ability when it got down to pulling any liquids out of the bag before the sealing operation. I'm assuming that's the problem.......liquids interfering with the seal weld??

What's involved as far as clean-up when those juices get sucked up in the vacuum machine (on either style)?? Seems like that's funky waiting to happen!!!
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FroggerZ View Post

Reynolds Handi-Vac
    That looks pretty neat.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, word of warning! If you are wanting to mount a fish and plan on vacuum packing it, freeze the fish BEFORE applying vacuum to it. An un-frozen fish will take on the checkered pattern of the inside of the food saver bags. I learned this the hard way and nearly ruined a client's trophy bass. It's not any fun spending hours fixing damage on a trophy that could have been avoided in the first place.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast