Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Just some questions

maseyferguson05 Guest

Default Just some questions

I'm not new to fishing, but rather fishing for crappie. Now iv caught these before when trying to fish for Bass and i figure the ponds around here must be stocked with them and although its not spring time, they must be hitting pretty good with the right gear.

Heres the question or questions? I primarily use a baitcaster and i don't plan on getting a new rod soon. So i'm all set there. I need to know what you guys use to fish for these guys. I know that jigs are a big, can i get a few links? Also this brings me to my next question. How the hell do i fish these? Just drop it, and toss it up from the bottom a few times or real it in like a crankbait, nice and steady?

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

if your used to casting or flipping.Then I would start out with 6 pound test and get ya some roadrunners from Bass Pro. Just cast and reel her back in. Get ya some 1/16 oz ones. That should be a good start.

Post Thanks / Like

MasseyF. ...Don't know what region of the country you're in but in many places, pond crappie go a bit deep in summer. There will probably be crappie around the same depth as where you find the deeper-holding bass. You can fan-cast around the deep part of the pond, and retrieve moderately slow so the jig is just a few feet off bottom. Laserdoc is right...1/16 is great choice for ponds. If you're bank fishing you might even try 1/8, to get out to the deep water. In summer you can get by with a little faster retrieve than at other times. If you have cool-water ponds with weeds you can often find crappie, usually black crappie, closer to shore--near the weed edge, inside the weeds, or beneath docks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maseyferguson05 View Post
    I'm not new to fishing, but rather fishing for crappie. Now iv caught these before when trying to fish for Bass and i figure the ponds around here must be stocked with them and although its not spring time, they must be hitting pretty good with the right gear.

Heres the question or questions? I primarily use a baitcaster and i don't plan on getting a new rod soon. So i'm all set there. I need to know what you guys use to fish for these guys. I know that jigs are a big, can i get a few links? Also this brings me to my next question. How the hell do i fish these? Just drop it, and toss it up from the bottom a few times or real it in like a crankbait, nice and steady?

Thanks guys
    Here's a very good article on how to fish jigs for crappie. Although it deals specifically with the weedless crappie slider (a great bait), it applies to any crappie jig:

Charlie Brewer's Slider Company Inc. - 1-800-762-4701; 931-762-4700

You might also want to invest in a spinning rod and reel. It's much easier to throw lights jigs with a spinning outfit. I usually use a 1/32 oz jig and occasionally move up to 1/16oz.

Post Thanks / Like

My advice is go back as far as you can stand it and read every post on tactics of crappie fishing it will help. be open minded a good crappie pole is a must.read,listen,and above all go fish with someone who will show you some fast tricks to get you on some fish it's a bummer not catching the fish you want ,I have heard a lot of bass fishermen say they didnt know crappie fishin was so darn hard to figure out. and quit and go back to bass fishin. be patient it's fun

maseyferguson05 Guest

Yeah, 1/16 sounds a little light for me to be whipping so i have some spinning rods. Heck, who knows maybe ill weld up one of those spider rigs and start real crappie fishing.

Thanks for the help guys, i'm gunna start reading.