Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Normally in November I head up to WI for a deer hunting trip. As the gas prices rose I became more concerned with the cost of such a trip. I figured this year it will cost me $700-$800 bucks just for gas(unless the price really drops). Then another almost $200 for license, about $150 for hotel and food traveling there and back, $100 for food and supplies while in camp in the north woods, and then another $200-$300 or so for incidentals and such. Basically the cost of this years trip is about double from what I have paid in previous years. My dilemma is that even though I enjoy hunting, I have grown to enjoy crappie fishing even more. I figured for the cost of this one trip, I could probably take 3, maybe 4 fishing trips. Not going hunting would allow me to spend almost a week at Talquin in December. Plus I would be able to bring my wife along. She says she likes venison, but likes fish even more.
    I guess I will just have to continue to think this thru and determine what is more important to me. This is just me thinking out loud, but I will be glad to entertain any words of wisdom my crappie.com friends can offer.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

just git into a hunting clube here or hunt a WMA close to home . then fish inbetween . that way you can have both:D
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorta in the same boat as you Jim...I have a hunting lease in Macon County and you probably know about the hunting there..There is a family dispute over the land since the husband died last year. The wife says she will lease it again, but I'm expecting some trouble from one of the sons if I do lease it. I hate to lose the land, but I'd rather spend my time and money on fishing down at Talquin than put up with the headache I am liable to face with getting the lease. My only dilemma is the other club members that still want to pursue the lease.(I think they ought to take up Crappie fishing:D)...Whether I get the lease or not, I believe I am going to concentrate my efforts on Crappie fishing and maybe squeeze in a weekend of hunting when I can. Gas prices also have me debating on spending every weekend in the woods like I have in the past. But now that we have the motor home that we will leave at Talquin for 6 months and my wife enjoys trolling, I think my mind is made up.

Post Thanks / Like

jim i do love crappie fishing but i really love my deer hunting too. i personally would go to WI. and enjoy it. i wish i could go to another state to hunt but i can't afford it,,if i could i would. then after deer season go back to crappie fishing thats what i do. ya know it's really hard to give up a annuall trip of any kind,,,,just mt opion.
    good luck!
    Got crappie?:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sothunfried View Post
    ya know it's really hard to give up a annuall trip of any kind,,,,
    You got that right. It's not that I don't really enjoy hunting but this year it is just the expense of it all. Some say gas prices will be a lot lower by then, but we'll see.

Papasage, I did belong to a hunting club that bordered my property. I did not join it this year because the guy running it is letting a lot of shady characters in that I really don't want to hunt around. They have a lot of ethical issues so to avoid conflict I just decided not to join. I have considered hunting Ft. Stewart, so that is always an option.

There is a remote chance that if gas prices come down to a reasonable level I may be able to make both WI and Talquin. That is as long as I have someone to share the lodging expenses at Talquin.

I'm just looking at all my options now because I hate waiting until the last minute. I'm the type of guy who likes to plan things out well in advance.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Manz View Post
    Talquin in December.
    nuff said!!!!

no really Jim. Sorry you have a deliema but these fuel prices are biting us everywhere.
    Last year was my first trip to Talquin. I believe it to be yours also. Think about it. That lake. Those football shaped crappie and all the crappie.com crew. The reason Winter Slabfest was moved up to December is the weather and crappie fishing is near perfect that time of year. That is the info given to me. I hope you join us and I get to witness the basket chef in action.
    Last year after my first day there I decided I would spend a week each winter. I belive I have started an annual trip.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

well i like hunting but i love fishing and would fish every day if wasnt that my kid likes to eat more then just fish
    but geting to go somewhere other then what you do every week is not only great but helps kill stress. way i look at it if your stressing about the cost then i wouldnt go and take the cheaper way out and have fun with what ever you get to do
    btw theres some great hunting here in ga and if looking for something realy new try geting in on some quata hunts there not as hard to get picked as most would think and norm just a weekend so can do a new hunting trip and go fishing to for what you was going on the other trip

alan
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a hunter, but if I remember right deer season is only for a couple of months. Crappie can be caught year round by good fishermen. I'd probably go hunting while I can and leave the fishing to the rest of us.:rolleyes::D
    To heck with work, lets go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by score300 View Post
    I'm not a hunter, but if I remember right deer season is only for a couple of months. Crappie can be caught year round by good fishermen. I'd probably go hunting while I can and leave the fishing to the rest of us.:rolleyes::D

I see what you are doing Wes. Trying to get rid of the competition, are ya! We'll just have to see about that.:p

Post Thanks / Like

Thats alot of $$$ per pound for deer meat!! I gave up my lease down near Sparta two years ago because he went up in price and I did not see 800.00 worth of deer on it for the past 3 years. Know with gas prices I think you will be seeing less trucks pulling ATV's out of town every weekend. Plus the processors fee has gone up. With the gas the lease the food and beer every weekend that deer burger has to cost 100 bucks per pound!!! Is it worth it!?!!???
    I have only one friend left who is a die hard hunter. I will just pay him 100 bucks and cover the process fee when he pops a doe for me. Easy way out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast