Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cleat Rod holder mount

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cleat Rod holder mount

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if anyone is making these yet? Just got a new boat and like the look of these.

Thanks,
    Buzz
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Extreme Fishing Concepts

Similar and they do work. No driling fiberglass.
    2008 Buggs Bash Champ! SML Dock Shooting King!

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cleat mounted bases

Thank you WVSpec for your reply. I hope everything is going well with you guys.

We make bases that attach to your cleats in seconds with no drilling or scratches. They are also easily removable but very strong and secure. See them at Extreme Fishing Concepts Driftmaster rod holders , Santee rod holders , Joy Fish cast nets and Redi Rig Floats

Post Thanks / Like

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I think the product you are selling is nice and I've looked at them while I was doing my research here but I really like the ones in the picture. Could you make me some of those? They look to be pretty simple. The boat is a Triton TR-175.

Thanks,
    Buzz

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not as simple as they look.

If you will notice the ones in the picture are not angled properly for this boat. The Driftmaster T-bar stem shown in the picture is angled away from the boat at a fairly sharp angle. This means that the rod holders would be out over the water and not straight up over the boat. This can be a problem. Any bump or heavy contact with a dock, person or anything else could bend the angled aluminum and cause a problem. This would be especially true with a T-bar such as the one shown. From a manufacturing standpoint there are a few problems. First of all boat models do not have these angled indentions in the gunnel at the same angle nor do they use the same brand of cleats. Therefore you would not be sure of the proper angle to bend them or the proper footprint for drilling the screw holes for the cleat. I would not want to try to manufacture these as a business for these reasons.
    If you want a set for your boat, I suggest you go to your local machine shop and let them make them for you. Even better if you have a buddy that can do it then go for it. Good luck.

Maynard Edwards
    Extreme Fishing Concepts Driftmaster rod holders , Santee rod holders , Joy Fish cast nets and Redi Rig Floats

Post Thanks / Like

Yadkin Guide, How wide does the top rail need to be on the boat in order for the top rail mount to work? I THINK mine is a little under 3 inches...(G3 boat)

Post Thanks / Like

Pardon my PhotoShopping, but I think it would be better to have them made with the rod holder inside the boat, like this:

This would be real easy to do with some metal, a vice and a drill.
    Last edited by Winger; 07-24-2008 at 03:56 PM.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 Answers

Smack Em

As long as the gunnel is wider than 1.5 inches the top mount base will work. Yours should work fine. Thanks for your question and interest.

Winger

I also like this way of mounting them better than the other if it does not interfere with storage lids. I agree that it would not be hard to make this base. If I wanted them for myself then I would make them or have someone who has the equipment do it for me. However, as a manufacturer who sells them for a profit, it would not be feasible because of the differences in boats. The angles of the recessed areas are not the same and the footprint or holes of the cleats are not the same. You would have to make many models to cover the boats. Boat companies will use the cleats that they can buy the cheapest and will sometimes change in the middle of the year. Our model will fit almost all of the boats with recessed cleats and even most that are mounted on the inside of the gunnel without being recessed such as the Nitro.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you guys tell how thick this stuff is by looking at the picture? It looks to me to be about 1/4" to maybe 3/8". I found some aluminum bar online at a pretty decent price, I just want to make sure I get it thick enough to be strong but not to thick to be able to bend it.

Buzz

Post Thanks / Like

Looks to be around 1/4 or so. I would say it would be real hard to bend a short piece like that without sheet metal tools. I would just call up some sheet metal shops and see if any carry 3 X 1/4 flat stock because if they have it they can bend it.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011