Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing Lake Whitney for Crappie

holliekai01 Guest

Wink Fishing Lake Whitney for Crappie

Hi, I was wondering if anybody had advice on fishing crappie on Lake Whitney(Texas)? I just watched a video on how to fish for crappie and it said you have to find them and fish at the perfect depth. I think I found a good spot, but I can't seem to catch the big ones. Whitney has a rock bottom, so I am little confused as to where to find them. Sorry, if I sound ignorant, but I just started fishing for crappie. I have no problem with the blue gill, lol. I want to make fishing a little more challenging though. I did catch a 10 inch sun perch, that was pretty awesome. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellow fisherman!

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned that your particular spot has rocks. Crappie like rocks, but especially those that create structure such as a rocky point, big rock pile, or maybe a small group of big boulders. Find out, with sonar or from local fishermen or baitshop, the current depth of the shad or other forage fish. Then I'd fish near the rock structure (or woody cover if any) at that depth by casting or slow trolling. For the bigger crappie, a tube jig of at least 2 or 3 inches, a good-sized baitfish, or small crankbait should work.

holliekai01 Guest

Thanks for the advice! I'll try asking around the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Try going to the TX forum and asking. I wouldn't be surprised if you found people there that fish Whitney.
    Good things come to those who bait.