Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Fish Finders - Opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Portable Fish Finders - Opinions?

Hey all,

Looking for a portable, good quality fish finder, and I'd like to get some of your opinions out there, good and bad.

Thanks!
    Thomas-Hawk

Post Thanks / Like

I'd forget about the portability and put an Eagle 480 on the trolling motor of your little 'Hound. It's $200 and considered the best bang for the buck. Run a search on the "electronics and trolling motors" board and on the main forum...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortStorie View Post
    I'd forget about the portability and put an Eagle 480 on the trolling motor of your little 'Hound. It's $200 and considered the best bang for the buck. Run a search on the "electronics and trolling motors" board and on the main forum...

SS, thanks! Also, sorry folks... I didn't look first to see there was a board for electronics and trolling motors. My bad!

Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem, TH. There are no set rules for such. Your question will be seen by more people on the "electronics" board tho. I agree with SS on the Eagle 480. If you don't want to mount your transducer on your trolling motor, there are brackets you can purchase. Or..............you can make your own bracket out of pvc pipe like I did for mine. I will add a pic to this post tomorrow.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwillaub View Post
    Not a problem, TH. There are no set rules for such. Your question will be seen by more people on the "electronics" board tho. I agree with SS on the Eagle 480. If you don't want to mount your transducer on your trolling motor, there are brackets you can purchase. Or..............you can make your own bracket out of pvc pipe like I did for mine. I will add a pic to this post tomorrow.
    bwillaub, if you could post pics, that would be great!

Now, I've narrowed my choice down to two units: the Eagle 480, or the Humminbird 565. Both are $200, but the 565 has more power (2000 watts compared to the 480's 1500) and it has a dual beam transducer, which shows both a 20 degree and a 60 degree cone. The posts on the electronics and trolling motors board are mostly split 50/50 between these two units for the price range.

Guess I'll just have to go back to BPS (go ahead, twist my arm! :D) and play with the demo units to see which interface I like better.

Thomas-Hawk

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a good plan
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the pics I promised. Cloudy this morning so they aren't as clear as I would like but I think you get the idea.

The unit is a Garmin 240 I took off my big boat. The base is made from a treated 2 X 6 cut to fit and painted black. The bracket is made from 1" pvc, glued, and painted black with the KRYLON Fussion paint. Must drill several
    1/4" to 3/8" holes in bracket to allow for water to enter to keep it from floating. Be sure a couple of the holes are on the very bottom to allow water to drain when it is out of the water.

Parts List
    1" pvc pipe
    PVC cleaner, primer, and adhesive
    3 pvc elbows (1 is threaded on one end)
    1" pvc threaded plug
    Wire zip ties
    Black KRYLON Fussion paint

Hope this helps.
    Bob

OOOPS! 1 pic is upside down of course. Be sure bottom elbow is turned towards back of boat. This makes it glide through the water better.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by bwillaub; 07-23-2008 at 09:02 AM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good idea Bob. Thats what I like about this site. Somebody always has an anwser to about any problem that arises.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    Very good idea Bob. Thats what I like about this site. Somebody always has an anwser to about any problem that arises.
    It works great, Jared. Stays in place even when motoring at top speed. Just have to remember to lift it out of the water when beaching the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, Bob! If I don't end up mounting it on the trolling motor, I may have to steal your idea! It's funny, I usually see PVC pipe used for a lot of things that have nothing to do with plumbing. :D

What kind of boat is that you have there?

T-Hawk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast