Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hey guys.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey guys.....

going to Gatlinburg/Sevierville next week and thought I might try my hand at some trout fishing. An old friend who is now gone talked of trout fishing at a place a short distance from a place called the Chimneys. Anyone know where this is or perhaps have some advice on where to fish up there? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

i pretty sure it's off 441 headed out of gatlinburg up towards newfound gap and clingman's dome. i've never fished in the park, but i've seen the picnic area there about a dozen times. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing in the park is a lot of fun, there are several fly shops in the are where you can get some local patterns and maps. Spin fishing is good too w/ the basic stuff like roostertails and little cleos. The fish in the park streams are native and will run pretty small but they are beautifull and fun to catch.
    It's all over but the fryin'......

Post Thanks / Like

Chimmey Tops is off of 441 heading out of Sugarlands visitor center, thay can help with a map and where to fish. Been there and it is great. Bring a fly if you know how, if not a small spinner is just right.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Guys...

will a liteweight panfish rig work for the trout? Someone mentioned using 4lb line? what bait, corn... bread?

Post Thanks / Like

I lived in the Smokys for 2 yrs and became quite accomplished at catching trout.....depends on what you want to catch.

Hatchery fish....which MOST waters are, cant go wrong with a gold blade, yellow and red body panther martin if you like to fish a spinner.
    My favorite however was a #6 hook with a Berkley Power Bait trout worm threaded on with a small split shot about 12" above it and bounce it down the creek. Takes a little bit to get used to fish hitting vs bumping rocks, and how to keep it from getting snagged (the split shot between rocks) but it was my most productive method. Bright orange or bright pink.

Natives, camoflauge, a light foot, fish up stream, single hook artificial, flies generally rule or a brass headed midge of somesort, match the hatch.

Big, deeper water brown trout....#7 shad shad raps. (or small rainbow trout...shhhhh lol)

I never picked up a fly rod, and came through behind guys that were fly fishing and caught fish. Spinning rod, 4.5-5' w/ 4lb line. P.S. a net is handy