Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Diamond Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Diamond Lake

Went fishing Saturday evening and caught 12 Crappie and 25 Rock Bass in six feet of water over a weed bed. Caught all fish on minnows and a bobber. Water temp was only 53 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

Len: THere was a nice article about crappie fishing on Diamond in the Kazoo Gazette. Guy catches a lot of crappie there - he and writer of article caught over 50 crappie on two seperate days.
    Using 2lb test with 1/32 oz jig under a bobber. Letting bobbers drift over weeds about 6-8 feet down. Jig was suspended just over weeds.
    Guy with 6 lbs line caught nothing until he changed to 2lb test.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcass
    Len: THere was a nice article about crappie fishing on Diamond in the Kazoo Gazette. Guy catches a lot of crappie there - he and writer of article caught over 50 crappie on two seperate days.
    Using 2lb test with 1/32 oz jig under a bobber. Letting bobbers drift over weeds about 6-8 feet down. Jig was suspended just over weeds.
    Guy with 6 lbs line caught nothing until he changed to 2lb test.
    When was this article in the Gazette?

Post Thanks / Like

I found the article and it was who I thought it was. My cousin is also a Postal Worker in South Bend And he knows Jim Horn and fishes with him on Mondays being the postal emplyees day off instead of Saturdays.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't mean to intrude but, I was born in MI then lived there for 18 years. I just had to say we always used 2lb in the winter for skidish crappie through the ice and had good sucess. So it doesn't surprise me any but, Thanks for reminding me. I been using 6lb down here but they have turned off and never did think about trying good ole 2lb.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see if that helps turn them back on.

Len:
    Yep, that was the guy - Horn.
    I've got to get down to Diamond this summer. I hear it is bad on weekends with all the boat traffic. How about the weekdays?
    jcass

Post Thanks / Like

The weekdays are the best time to fish Diamond Lake.Not very crowded at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is Diamond lake? Im gonna be in Michigan this thursday through the weekend and would like to try it. That 2 lb test is interesting. I live in North Carolina and may just give it a go here. I normally use 6 or 8 for Crappo here but sometimes they turn off and maybe that would help. Anyone know of a place to get Walleye near Alpena?

Post Thanks / Like

Diamond is way down in the southwest corner of the state. A long way from Alpena.
    Can't help you on the Alpena area. There are two nice lakes north of ALpena but I don't know how the fishing is. In one, Grand Lake, you can access Lake Huron. CHeck with the bait shops in the area. Maybe Thunder Bay has walleyes, too.
    Try MI Sportsman FOrum. http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...splay.php?f=13