Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Gasoline and ethanol

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gasoline and ethanol

Is any brand of gasoline sold without ethanol? I hear all sorts of bad things about gasoline with ethanol breaking down, gumming and other horror stories.

I have a Yamaha 4 stroke 60hp and the book says it is compatable.

Read an article in the Jackson, MS Clarion-Ledger newspaper about the problems with the mixture.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My area of the country has been on E-10 for many years now and I can tell you for a fact that it works just fine in your outboard. If you research each outboard manufacturer you will find that they all say E-10 is OK but don't use anything higher than that (some areas of the country are selling E-85). It is recommended that you install a water separator type filter and you may have to change the filter several times at first.

Unfortunately there are many unscrupulous outboard repairmen that are taking advantage of the false stories being circulated and tell you that you need certain work to be done. While I certainly don't know everything, I do know that there is only one confirmed problem with it and that affects certain Merc outboards. Merc advises that the fuel pump be rebuilt using new style check valves. If you want to confirm what I am saying, go here: iboats Boating Forums and search for ethanol. iboats is the largest outboard repair forum on the web and have a lot of well knowledged people there.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va