Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waneta lake report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Waneta lake report

Went to waneta yesterday. new launch looks good. no crappies, a lot of small gils brother caught one nice largemouth, 15 inches, put it right back. no floats in yet I think that is why we didnt find the crappies. We were marking fish in deeper water where ever there was a little creek or run off but could not get them to bite water was only 56 degrees so it is a little early. Trial run on the boat after getting it out of the shop. Bummer! started right up but only fireing on 2 cly. switched bottom and middle plug, that 1 was'nt working, took right off then but later after going 1/4 open for a few minites and then heading back to launch wide open she quit fireing again. So much for the tune uo. It was always coldblooded, most mercurys are but never had this trouble in the 5 years I have owened it. Back to the shop! Did catch a few nice crappie sat night in small pond that was a few degrees warmer though.

Post Thanks / Like

warm weather is what we need....where is this lake?? ........dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfilet
    warm weather is what we need....where is this lake?? ........dave
    Dave, Waneta is just a little southeast of keuka. Only 3 miles long but it has everything from muskies to panfish. There is a waneta lake website with a cam and lots of info if you want to look it up.

Post Thanks / Like

found it! only bout hour 1/2 away, will have to get together some time this year.... give the lake a look at someone new!!...............dave

flboater Guest

I live in Romulus and it takes me a good 30-35 minutes to get there from my house. I drove by there early Saturday morning and the place was loaded with boat trailers. I have never been on Waneta or Lamoka, which is better and why? I drive thru there nearly every weekend in the summer heading to our camp in Hammondsport. The boat launch looks real busy there in the summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Last sat there was a piceral tourn on lamoka and the weekends are usually busy. My opinon is that lamoka is better. There are 2 good creeks on the east side that normally produce fish and redbank island, so there is lots of structure but I feel the chanel to get there is a pain. Since they got rid of all the weeds on waneta you can usually work the floats and docks to pick up all the fish you want. They do have muskies so it can be exciting. I normally fish there during the week and fish cowanesque in Pa on the weekends. Honeyeye is one of my favorites but once again the weekends are really busy.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished all over the 'Mill Pond' at the end of Lamoka Lake (aka Bradford Pond) on three occations since opening day on May 7th. I've only seen one crappie taken there, mixed in with a kids stringer of bluegills. No pickerel to speak of either unfortunately, only 12 to 16 inchers.
    I'd bee real interested in hearing about hot spots on Cowanesque Lake, seeing how it is 10 minutes away from home. I've been there 3 or 4 times in the past 3 weeks and still nothing but little perch. Just where are those crappie hanging out prior to the spawn?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, and I was considering a trip onto Loon Lake outside Cohocton this weekend. Any reports from there this year?

Post Thanks / Like

Another trip around Bradford Pond last evening yielded a fairly nice selection of large mouth but no pickerel of any size. The weeds have grown to the surface and the free water to run a lure through is quite limited to say the least. Surface rat and frog over the weed beds seemed to work the best. Those chartruse rats must be a delicacy around there. :p

Post Thanks / Like

Boat is finally done! Went to Pa today and got my annual boat launch permit. Noticed that this has changed a bit, good now for a year on the date you buy it. Bought new lic. $50 now. That made me hesitate but I bought it.Dumped my son's boat in Cowanesque, nice little 14ft fiberglass, 35 hp johnson, rigged out for fishing. Cruised up and down for awhile, ran 1/2 tank of gas. Ready to go! Got home and the shop called to say my boat was done. Been in and out of shop since march. Tune up. $435, 1st time, only 2 cly. $337 new electic box, not fixed, 3rd try struggle to get up on plane, no charge 4th time fuel pump kit 2 carb kits $125 Hurray! It is right. I am ready to go. Look out fish. Have to make up for 2 months lost. Wanetea, lamoka, honeye, cowanesque, ives run here we come>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast