Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gossip: Wal-Mart thinking lesser of the fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gossip: Wal-Mart thinking lesser of the fisherman

May not be new news, but a fella that works in sporting goods said they were told yesterday in a meeting that they were cutting the fishing tackle inventory by 50% in 1,200 stores from September thru Feburary, and discontinuing fishing tackle all together in several more. Not that Wal-Mart sporting goods is somewhere to spend hours looking and wishing like BPS, Cabelas, or Sportsman's Warehouse, but when it's about all you got for at least some fishing stuff without having to drive 80 miles to one of the big outdoors shops, it does come in handy every once in a while. Handy place to hang out when I do go with the wife to buy groceries.

I know Sept - Feb are months where a lot of folks don't think about fishing, but that excludes me. I understand seasonal inventory, but I've got other opinions on where to go "lean" in that store. Wonder if any of them Walton heirs ever been fishin', anyway?

Guess they need more room for Christmas decorations..........that they start putting out before Halloween!!!!
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

St. Cloud, Fl on the Kissimme Chain of Lakes
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there is the good and bad that goes with that. I live in central Florida where you have BPS and Gander Mtn. close by. Plus, a Wal-Mart every 10 miles. I use them all. But here in town there are only two main bait stores. These small bussiness struggle just to stay a float. What I would hope is the small bait and tackle shops would be able to pick up the Wal-Mart slack and help there doors stay open. How many small bait and tackles across this country do you think Wal-Mart's existence, helped put them out of business? So, I say good for the little man and hopefully it will help him to suceed.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Take for instance the QBeam submersible lights. I waited for a while to buy some..and I had to go to 6 or 7 Wal-Marts to find any left. I was told they were seasonal and when they ran out...there wouldn't be any more until next year. Its all about what turns their biggest profit.

Post Thanks / Like

I have notice the same thing out here in central Cali. The Wal-mart and K-mart have less fishing tackle, come to think about it a lot less outdoor stuff too. The nearest BSP is 5 hour away and the Closes Cabels is 7 hours away.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Lowes and Home Depot are the same way. I cannot count the number of times I have been in search for a special item that neither carried. It's not like shopping at the old style lumber yards/hardware stores. If something does not move very well, they'll discontinue to carry it. It's the things that don't have much of a profit margin.

An example is a 23 gauge micro pin gun for shooting brads. Lowes did carry a gun, and the pins for it. Now they carry neither. Home Depot still carries a 23g Porter Cable gun, and 4 different lengths of pins for it. Thank goodness for that. I use them all the time when running Crown or Base around bullnose corners, returns, and scribe mould. The 23 gauge gun has me spoiled as I never split out a small peice of trim due to a larger nail.

I'd bet that Walmart keeps a limited supply of basic fishing gear in stock though.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B8fish View Post
    I think there is the good and bad that goes with that. I live in central Florida where you have BPS and Gander Mtn. close by. Plus, a Wal-Mart every 10 miles. I use them all. But here in town there are only two main bait stores. These small bussiness struggle just to stay a float. What I would hope is the small bait and tackle shops would be able to pick up the Wal-Mart slack and help there doors stay open. How many small bait and tackles across this country do you think Wal-Mart's existence, helped put them out of business? So, I say good for the little man and hopefully it will help him to suceed.
    B8fish, In case my point is misleading, I'm not advocating Wal-Mart whatsoever. 95% of me despises that place, the other 5% accepts it's existance for convenience. I'm 110% for the local independant fella. I've seen Wal-Mart Supercenter ruin a lot of commerce family traditional heritage here. If it's where I can support the local independant fella with my occupation, I do it. We have 2 "bait shops" here, and a convience store that sells some tackle, and probably more live bait than any one around. But, I can't go to either of these bait shops, and look at variety.......variety of barrel swivels, snaps swivels, hooks, etc... (Don't want to get any more specific.)

The big outdoors shops have variety, but the nearest one is 80 miles away. Does Wal-Mart have variety for us fisherman? Nothing worth me going weekly to see what's new, at least here. But, it appears the seasonal impact and today's market of fishing tackle sales has caused a change of heart for the Wally World folks.
    Last edited by luvjign; 07-19-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When you young whippersnappers get old and frail like me, you will appreciate Wal Mart lots more.

They never run out of Maalox, Ex lax, or Prep H.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I've been done with Walmart since last year when the manager told me they would not stock char coal durin the winter!? I told them that had to be the dumbest thing I ever heard. Grillin is a year round sport! There aint no season, it's always in season. Lots of em quit selling guns too. What does that tell ya?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    When you young whippersnappers get old and frail like me, you will appreciate Wal Mart lots more.

They never run out of Maalox, Ex lax, or Prep H.
    I use all 3. Matter of fact, just gotta brain fart.........might try the last one in a Bait Pump.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnowsoaker View Post
    I've been done with Walmart since last year when the manager told me they would not stock char coal durin the winter!? I told them that had to be the dumbest thing I ever heard. Grillin is a year round sport! There aint no season, it's always in season. Lots of em quit selling guns too. What does that tell ya?
    Tells me to buy a gas grill and quit hunting. I did. kidding.

I know what you mean.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast