Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ethanol has made it to my hometown

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ethanol has made it to my hometown

We had a new gas station open here about 6 weeks ago and they were selling gas cheaper than everyone else (grand opening) for about a month.

It turns out it had 10% ethanol in the gas and I have put it my boat, since they opened. The motor is a 2 stroke, 1992 Evinrude V6 150, I've owned since it was new. The outboard motor started running rough and eventually would not crank. I took it to the shop and they said that the ethanol dissolves any deposits in the tank and fuel line and runs them through the carburetors. My V6 Evinrude had 6 carburetors. The kits to rebuild are $50 each or $300 and the labor will be about the same. So I'm looking at a $600.00 minimum repair bill. The shop said they have had 20 boats in the last month with the same problem.

If you run gas with ethanol in an older motor you will need to run an additive like Seafoam in every tank of gas to keep the fuel from dissolving any residue and creating the same problem for you.

Also, if you don't have a quality fuel filter to separate water prior to the fuel entering the engine, you will want to add one. The ethanol attracts moisture out of the air and converts it to water in your tank.

Hopefully my experience will save someone else from suffering the same fate.

Spiderman

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your motor problem,I can't find a local gas station around here anymore that the gas doesn't contain the 10% ethanol.

Post Thanks / Like

Hate to hear it, it always something!!!!!!!!!!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, sorry to hear that you had to fork out all that great tackle money. That's some good info. though. Thanks.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

In S.C. the state add 10% to all the gas! I run stabel in my tank to stop the water and have not had any problem yet.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4