Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bait size....White/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait size....White/Black

Seems I'm using larger baits for Whites than I ever used on Black's up north in my younger days. Anyone got an Opinion? Of course you do!! What is it?:D
    "You ain't holdin' your mouth right! Did ya spit on your hook?"
    Grandpa

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink I tend to use the same ....

Quote Originally Posted by Calico Kid View Post
    Seems I'm using larger baits for Whites than I ever used on Black's up north in my younger days. Anyone got an Opinion? Of course you do!! What is it?:D

baits/size for both .... usually a 1.75" plastic on a 1/16oz jighead. I'll start with that, and downsize if the drop speed needs slowing down, or if I'm fishing very shallow water. Then I'll move down to 1/32oz jighead, but still have a 1.75" plastic body on it. Most plastic bodies I use, are from 1.5-1.75-2 inches in length, but mostly I use the 1.75"
    The baits I use now are still about the same size as the minnows I used to use. So, I'm of the opinion that, while bigger baits do sometimes catch bigger fish ... smaller baits will too, and they'll also catch smaller fish ... which equals to more fish :D I enjoy the thump, the line tic, and the pullage ... regardless of size. When you only get to go a few times a year, like me, you take numbers over size ... but, you're always hopeful of getting "both" :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest black came off of a 1/64th oz lol

Post Thanks / Like

That's sort of my point. I've also seen, on this site, a number of photos of big Blacks, caught on relatively small jigs, etc. but not so with Whites. Am I just missing the photos, or are Blacks more likely to take both small and large baits and the Whites more large?
    Grandpa

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught a FEW that bucked the trend (big blacks on big crankbait
    and big whites on 1 1/2" tubes) but in my opinion you're on the right
    track. At least around here, on the whites you can't hardly get too big
    a bait for them - if they're in the mood to play. Only time I'll use teensy
    tiny stuff is either if I'm not catching anything, or if I was and they shut
    off. Dead of winter or after a bad front has passed. And by the way, teensy tiny to me is anything smaller than a 3" curly tail grub :D
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

A biologist told me about a month ago that "White crappie usually switch to eating shad and small fish at an early age, where as Black crappie will sometimes eat small invertebrates and bug larvae most of their life."

That would account for the different size baits for the different crappie. I have also found White crappie like a larger bait than Black crappie.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappies are crappies. I will start off with a 1/16th and downsize to 1/32nd or 1/64th. Usually a 1/16 or 1/32 will catch all the crappies I need.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Ship
    I understand what you are saying about 1/16 th jigs, and working smaller. I use a lot of plastic however. I catch lots of whites on a 2 1/4" plastic swimbaits on a 1/16th head. I tried, one day just for fun, throwing 3" curl tail, (and that was 3" relaxed)and caught 7inch crappie. I'm not sure I would have caught Blacks, and sometimes wonder if I would catch Blacks on the 2 1/4" that is my "standard" swimbait.
    Grandpa

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm waiting for someone to reply that they catch Blacks consistantly on 2" or better baits.
    Grandpa

Post Thanks / Like

I consistently catch both small & larger black crappie on the 16th oz. w/2" baby shad. It's been my bait of choice for 2 years now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast