Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to learn how to paint my own jig heads?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Want to learn how to paint my own jig heads?

Looking to get into painting my own jig heads. What are some good starting materials that i will need/ or supplies. I have no idea how this works so any basic starting info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot for any help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tube4Slabs
    Looking to get into painting my own jig heads. What are some good starting materials that i will need/ or supplies. I have no idea how this works so any basic starting info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot for any help
    Most durable as well as being very quick is powder coating. All of ours are done this way. Basically you heat the jig to 340 (an old electric skillet works well at doing large volumes) then dip the portion to be painted in the powder. A couple of seconds later its dry and done. If you then bake them at te same temp for another 15 minutes it will cure the powder even more and make them ast even longer. Multiple colors can also be done this way but it gets a little tricky. Powder is also cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Jumping, lets see if I read this right, you heat all the jigs to a certain temp then do you pick up each jig by pliers or something to dip? Where do you get this powder paint, sounds fun and thanks for the help. By the way whats the best way to bust open the eyelets incase they get painted over and sealed

Post Thanks / Like

We deal with a large amount each time we paint so we have found mass heating to be both cheaper, and more consistent. Some use a propane torch to heat each jig held by hemostats or pliers then dip them. That has problems though in that you can very easily get them to hot (and they melt) or to cold on one side and they look like doo doo. An old skillet set at 350 works real well. Pick them up by the hook using hemostats or needle nose pliers and dip them in "fluffed" powder. Its that simple. The powder will become packed after a while so keep it stirred up every so often to make it easy. Powder can be purchased on line or at a lot of differt tackle shops. We have ors custom made by a larger powder company but I have bought it before from Sportsman's Warehouse and others.
    There are a few little squeeze type things sold to cler the eyelets ut short of that another hok will usually do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

Jumping Cholla Jigs,

So you just toss a handful of jigs in an electric skillet and warm them to 350*?

At what temp does lead begin to melt?

Post Thanks / Like

Default powder paint

A good place to buy powder paint is on ebay. I just hold mine in my fingers by the hook, hold over a candle flame, and dip into my powder paint when hot. I have only ever melted the lead off of one jig.
    Last edited by lakeman; 05-07-2005 at 07:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way whats the best way to bust open the eyelets incase they get painted over .------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------One product is:
    http://www.crappiepro.com/store/Stor...TOKEN=46571498

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the alloy but the common ones melt around 425 in my experiance. We use a high tin alloy so around 400 it goes soft. 350 is perfect for powder so why push the limits of the lead?

Had not seen that one wiz, but it looks like a nice tool for the tackle box.
    Last edited by Jumping Cholla Jigs; 05-07-2005 at 08:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree wiz, good looking tool, and thanks everyone for your input so far

Post Thanks / Like

I just find the brightest, with the most glitter, and cheapest fingernail polish and paint them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast