Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Braided Line??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braided Line??

In the never ending quest for perfection I'm thinking about trying braid on one of my jig rods. Most likely I'll go with Stren Super Braid in either the 3/10 or 4/14.

Anyone have any experience with braid or Stren Microfuse for crappie??

Post Thanks / Like

5# Power Pro for me in the yellow color, if in clear water and worried about fish seeing my line I color the last couple of feet with a green or blue felt tip.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently put spiderwire braided line on one of my rods and I have liked it so far. I haven't fished with it enough yet to say I have tested it hard, but my results so far have been positive.
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Spiderwire braid on mine . Have some with 2lb dia and the rest with 4lb dia. I like it just fine and the only issue I have is when dipping minnows under a float in shallow water, if the fish spits the hook a lot of times it means a re-tie job. That stuff can throw a knot quick!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Stren Super Braid, Berkley FireLine, Spiderwire, Sufix Braid, and Power Pro. I prefer the Sufix (lowest available is 6#) and the Stren (lowest available is 8#). I especially do not like power Pro is it has what I call a "stickiness" to it when wet- it actually "sticks" to the rod instead of hanging loose in the guides thus effecting my casting distance.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Power Pro 2/10 Green. Hare tried the white color but did not like it as I fish very clear water in Southern Missouri. Also tried Stren and it was ok just a bigger line.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the 4/14 Stren briaded in green with pretty good luck. I hauled a 6 lb catfish during the Classic last year and didn't waste any time reeling him in. That is a down sidesince you may lose a finger trying to break off if you hang up bad in deep water. P Line flourocarbon is what I use now on all my rigs(spinning, baitcaters, and fly reels).

Post Thanks / Like

i use fireline flamegreen 6lb test/2lb dia. i wont go back to
    anything else becouse it works so good when i am flipping
    behind cable's on docks, it does not damage your line as bad as
    it does with mono. i agree with 3's it does not work well
    floating a boober.

Post Thanks / Like

This spring I got two more new rods, B & M 12 ft, and the bass pro inexpensive small free spool reels. My intent was to try the braid line with my spider rig to see how it worked. I normally run six rods and used these on the outside. I went the the BP special spring fishing show and was looking at the line. The Berkley guy was there and I asked him about braid, especially the Stren. He suggested that I try the Spider wire because of the cost to see if I even liked the braid for this particular setup. I got the stealth 6# and it worked great. Like the guys said before it is not real good for bobber fishing. One afternoon I got into the bushes and any time you got hung and it flipped off or missed a fish it was likely to get tangled up. I'm not sure but I also think it has some kind of wood magnet in it or at least it seemed that way because it was really attracted to trees and bushes. Finally switched to rod with mono and was OK. For tight line it is great. No streatch, really small diameter with less drag etc.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cant list all the braids and superlines i've tried. None of them satisfy me for jig fishing. None. I'm sticking to my 4# clear mono. If i'm perch fishing lake erie, i'll use a braid to feel the bite better in 58ft of water, but other than that, i'll only use it to troll with.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast