Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weedless jigs?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Weedless jigs?

What is you favorite and why?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Charlie Brewer Sliders--when rigged weedless you can swim them through tops an brush relativly easy.The paddletail gives lots of action plus appears alive.theres a large selection of colors so you can match to conditions pretty easy too. Good Fishin To Ya!!!Dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill

I agree with Dennis, Charlie Brewer Sliders.....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I like the sliders as well
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation My favs ....

are the P&S Custom Tackle ball heads with brush guards & the Oldham's Surelock Weedless Crappie jighead (wire loop guard). I use the Oldham's in a 1/16oz & the P&S Tackle one's in 1/32 & 1/16oz. I can put a 1 inch to 2.5 inch body of any brand plastic on them ... and put them in the dense mass of branches of a Cedar tree hulk or blowdown, and expect to get them thru and back out - 95% of the time. The hooks on them are small enough to not look awkward with a small plastic body, can be bent by 4-6lb line, yet strong enough to hook and land 2+lb Crappie ... 4lb Smallmouth ... 6lb Largemouth ... 8lb Hybrid Striper ... 5+lb Channel Catfish ... and 25lb Freshwater Drum (which I, or a fishing partner, have done with them).

I've used Charlie Brewer Slider jigheads - but, as of yet, haven't caught a fish with one ... so I can't compare them to the other two.

Here's the two I use most often -

The Oldham's "Surelock" jigheads are only available in this weight & hook size (& bronze hook) ....... the P&S Tackle heads are available in various weights, hook sizes, and hook finishes. ............cp
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-07-2005 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default stick Guard

I add Stick Guard to my jigs to make them weedless. They work ok.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    The one's that I buy from Walmart and make weedless myself. I like them because they don't cost much and it' gives me something to do in the winter time. They also work which is an important factor.
    Moose... how do you make them weedless?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a dremel tool and the drill set. I use the 1/32" size drill and drill a hole right behind the hook eyelet at about a 45 deg angle. Then I superglue a short piece of 40lb test fishing line into the hole. The heavy fishing line sticks up in front of the hook and protects it from the brush etc. When a fish bites he can bend the fishing line down and allow the hook to be set into the fish's mouth.

There is a picture of my jig somewhere in this forum.

Do a search on Weedless Jigs and I bet you can find that picture in here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart
    Moose... how do you make them weedless?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Moose. I can actually make those. I have all of the materials and equip as of right now. Dremmel, jigheads, and 40 lb line. Have you exerimented with say 50 or 60 lb line?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    Cool Moose. I can actually make those. I have all of the materials and equip as of right now. Dremmel, jigheads, and 40 lb line. Have you exerimented with say 50 or 60 lb line?
    I read a post in the archives where Moose stated that the wire guard on the Oldham's jig works better than his homemde w/40lb mono. He noted that he missed less fish with the Oldham's. That being the case... 50 or 60# mono would likely be too stiff. Moose should be along soon to confirm or deny these findings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast