Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: line size

Post Thanks / Like

Default line size

After reading this post on a Texas forum CAT Meeting - Brazing/Welding Rod - Texas Fishing Forum it got me to wondering about line size. Other than lure action does it really matter to the crappie what size line we use? Or is the above just for the spawn when they go crazy. I have some 6 lb clear line on 2 of my spider-rig poles and 8 lb hi-vis on the other 2 and I really don't believe I can tell the difference on the amount of bites on either pole, just lure color sometimes. I know some don't think color matters but it sure seems to to me when most of my bites are coming on just that one rod with that color jig, makes me put that color on all my poles. Any thoughts?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

TacoBender is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not 100% sure on this my test aren't 100% clear. Other than jig action I think the clearer the water the more it matters.
    TacoBender
    On The Spot Guide Service
    "Catchin Crappie Year Round"
    www.onthespotwithscott.com

Post Thanks / Like

i'll go along with you on the jig color 100%. I've had it happen way too many times to not believe it. As far as the line size goes, I do believe it makes more of a difference when the bite is a bit tougher say maybe on a high pressure day when the fish will bite, but they are finicky about it or when you are fishing in clearer than normal water.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience is that line color never mattered but jig color certainly has made a difference often enough (I have observed this by deliberately switching colors during a good bite). As for line weight, doesn't matter to the crappie but if the bites are light I can feel them easier with lighter line (less line mass to move when fish bites).

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I like small diameter line is it reduces blow back when trolling.

I don't think the fish much care.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

It does to matter because... Just because!
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    After reading this post on a Texas forum CAT Meeting - Brazing/Welding Rod - Texas Fishing Forum it got me to wondering about line size. Other than lure action does it really matter to the crappie what size line we use? Or is the above just for the spawn when they go crazy. I have some 6 lb clear line on 2 of my spider-rig poles and 8 lb hi-vis on the other 2 and I really don't believe I can tell the difference on the amount of bites on either pole, just lure color sometimes. I know some don't think color matters but it sure seems to to me when most of my bites are coming on just that one rod with that color jig, makes me put that color on all my poles. Any thoughts?
    Steve, as far as line "size" goes, my opinion is it doesn't affect so much whether the fish takes the bait or not, but bait action and more resistance on bigger line surface while trolling. I started out using the Eagle Claw Crappie Rigs you get at Walmart (the two hook rigs). That's at least 20 lb. test. Then I started tying my own.....sometimes 20 lb. test.......mostly 12 lb test for less resistance while trolling. As for clear line vs. color line, I have fished both for a long time, and can't seem to tell the difference, but then again, I fish a murky/muddy lake.......clear water lakes, maybe so.

Every time I see the subject of line size / color come up on here, the very first thing that comes to mind is there are several die-hard trot-liners on Grenada, and one old veteran in particular has caught countless 3lb.+ crappie (mainly from Feb. thru April) on a gnarly-dingy-white-nylon string with a gnarly stainless hook (which is sometimes baited with cut shad, but a lot of times aluminum Coke can tabs, or just a plain hook. So, I've always used this as proof that even the big ol' veteran slabs won't think twice about going for it when it resembles a meal, and makes me discount a lot of theory on line color and size making that much difference....at least in a not-so-clear lake.
    Last edited by luvjign; 07-15-2008 at 05:48 PM.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to understand one thing, so tell me if I am off on this. I have always thought for example that all 6# line was the same diameter and so on for all # test. After looking at all types of line out there I have realized that just because one brand of 6# is say
    .009 in diameter, another brand may be .010. These are just examples of course. The one thing I started looking for was 1.) # test line and 2.) diameter of the line. It all depends on the method of fishing I plan on doing. What I have come up with is that a smaller diameter line will allow the jig to sink at a faster rate than a larger diameter, even though they both may be the same # test line. I think this is important for those who longline more so than those who vertical troll (spider rig).
    I think during certain times of the year and fishing method used you would be better off paying more attention to the diameter of the line and not so much as the # test of the line. I think the rate of fall may or may not illicit a strike, meaning the slower the rate of fall (larger diameter line) the longer the jig/bait will stay in the strike zone. This should be especially good for those times the crappie are finicky. During times the fish are aggressive, then you may prefer a smaller diameter line which falls faster to get the jig/bait down to the fish.
    As far as color I have used clear, blue and red. I think that the red actually scares the fish based on my observations. This may not be true on all bodies of water. I think the clarity of the water is a determining factor in this. I have heard a lot of good things about the hi-vis yellow so I will be buying some and testing it. I now use clear line, which I have had good results with. It is just hard for me to see those light bites with clear line.
    This is just a simpletons (my) way of looking at this. I hope I was able to offer a laymans perspective on this without rambling too much. I will be glad to clarify any of my statements if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

i use hi-vis yellow, i don't think it matters to the fish but it does to my older eyes.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Not so sure ...

line size (diameter) is of any great significance, when you're talking thousandths of an inch .... but, under some circumstances, 20lb test vs 4lb test "may" make a significant difference. It may spook a biter away, and it may not ... it may mean the difference in being able to use a certain method or technique, or not. "Most" of my Crappie fishing has been with 4-8lb test lines ... clear/blu, photochromic, yellow, chartreuse, and green. But, when I started fishing, I was using black nylon then moved to multi-colored nylon, and eventually to the "new" stuff .... monofilament :p Since those days I've worked my way down from 8lb test, to mostly using 4lb test. I caught fish on all of them :p
    What equipment you're using, what technique/method you're using, and the water clarity & fishing pressure of the lake ... can dictate what size (&/or color) of line will work best.

Color of jig ... now that's a whole other deal. I think we all have had experiences where a certain color was more productive than any others ... only to return to the same waters, under same/similar conditions, and have that particular color fail miserably I know I have
    I'm not particularly all that competitive, and don't get to fish all that often, but I still like to catch 'em ... and that's why I like using jigs so much, because it does give me a little extra bit of satisfaction, when I trick 'em into hitting my artificial offering. And picking "the" color, that fills the stringer for that day, is also an accomplishment that I get a kick out of :p

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast