Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: "Specks" Black Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Specks" Black Crappie

From the looks at the pictures you guys post looks like most of the crappie ya'll catch are Black Crappie or Specks as us MS boys call them. They sure do seem to pull allot harder than white crappie. I love their shape to like a big hubcap!
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

Mississippi Slab, did you see the pic I put up on "HELP FOR A......................." that CrappieLips posted. I like that pic.

Post Thanks / Like

show one of those blacks on here sometime Mississippi Slab

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey MS Slab ....

you ever get ahold of a "hubcap" sized Blacknose .... it will teach you a thing or two about "pulling" :D (and probably a little about "jumping", too ) ..... LOL!!

My partner & I were fishing at Watts Bar, back a few years ago ... pine tree blowdown that had too many small branches still on it, to effectively cast to it. Pulled up to it and did some "Vertical Casting" ... got that "slack line" type of bite - and when I set the hook, the crazy thing came out of the tree like a rocket and jumped plum over the front end of the Tracker TX17 !! Lucky for me it did ... 'cause it took drag a couple of runs, once it got out into open water !! It only weighed a little over a pound ... but, I'd have sworn it would have gone 2+, if it had gotten off :D ....cp

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    you ever get ahold of a "hubcap" sized Blacknose .... it will teach you a thing or two about "pulling" :D (and probably a little about "jumping", too ) ..... LOL!!

My partner & I were fishing at Watts Bar, back a few years ago ... pine tree blowdown that had too many small branches still on it, to effectively cast to it. Pulled up to it and did some "Vertical Casting" ... got that "slack line" type of bite - and when I set the hook, the crazy thing came out of the tree like a rocket and jumped plum over the front end of the Tracker TX17 !! Lucky for me it did ... 'cause it took drag a couple of runs, once it got out into open water !! It only weighed a little over a pound ... but, I'd have sworn it would have gone 2+, if it had gotten off :D ....cp
    Only 2+, comon CP, you can do better than that! I've never lost one that weighed less than 3lb.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

You ever wonder if Black Crappie are white with black specks, or black with white splotches?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VietVet68
    You ever wonder if Black Crappie are white with black specks, or black with white splotches?
    Thats a deeeep thought Vet. I will surely think about it when I catch my next one. And considering I will probably be sleep deprived at 4 am, it may be more interesting than normal. Such as....are the spots stationary? Or are they moving around?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moose - That is right!

About the spines:

The black crappie has seven or eight spines on its dorsal fin.

The white crappie has only five or six dorsal spines.

In a lot of cases you can tell by a picture in my opinion, but like you said just because it doesn't have the vertical bars does not mean it is not a white crappie....but, if it does have the vertical bars you can be sure it is a white crappie.....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>