Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Thoughts....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thoughts....

First, I want to comment on Kalins curly tails again. I am now convinced that one of the huge factors of why they work so well, is the shape of the tail. Its much more broad than other curly tails, and this is killer when they are falling. Or retrieved. Yes the three colors are good too, but I'm realizing how important that tail is.

Second, we all know about the classic crappie thump, when they hit. Or the tap. Both can be quite addicting. But I have found a new addiction. I love it when I'm letting the lure drop on a retrieve, and all of a sudden my line goes real slack, like it hit the bottom, but I know that I'm in 20 feet of water and that lure is only five feet down. Its just eerie looking...lol. Then you set the hook and the crappie is on. I love it. Anyhow......just some thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    First, I want to comment on Kalins curly tails again. I am now convinced that one of the huge factors of why they work so well, is the shape of the tail. Its much more broad than other curly tails, and this is killer when they are falling. Or retrieved. Yes the three colors are good too, but I'm realizing how important that tail is.

Second, we all know about the classic crappie thump, when they hit. Or the tap. Both can be quite addicting. But I have found a new addiction. I love it when I'm letting the lure drop on a retrieve, and all of a sudden my line goes real slack, like it hit the bottom, but I know that I'm in 20 feet of water and that lure is only five feet down. Its just eerie looking...lol. Then you set the hook and the crappie is on. I love it. Anyhow......just some thoughts.

I get the same feeling when fishing the Panfish Assasins with a weighted cork. I'll give a little bump and wait for it to fall back down. When it does, the weighted cork sinks into the water just a little bit. Soometimes when the crappie hits it real easy, the cork will rise out of the water just a little bit. A little yank and I'm reeling in a nice greenback.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappster - I have to agree with you. That thump is why I crappie fish. As for the line going limp I have another one for ya! When you are spider rigging and trolling at a good speed and all of a sudden your pole goes from that bent over position to straight up. You better set the hook because it is a good one! Everytime I take a new guy trolling that is the first thing I tell them. If it stands straight up grab a hold!
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

I like the fall fishing technique of tightlining, quickly taking the slack out of the line and setting the hook. But the thump of a hit is a rush! Most people never master the monitoring of the bait as it falls to the desired depth, often miss hits and bring up bare hooks and wonder what happened to the bait! Pay as much attention while the bait falls as the upward retrieve. Good topic

Post Thanks / Like

[Bruce] That's what I'm Talking about. I LOve titelining Like you said you have to have experince at it or you'll come up with a blank hook that THUMP THUMP Set that hook an

PULL EM-ULE PULL

Post Thanks / Like

Hey crappster, I think that is my favorite hit as well. Love to see slack in the line. You get a running start with your hook set that away...LOL
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Thoughts

Crappster, I have one for you. I take the thill float, The slender long ones and take 5/64th drill bit and drill a hole thru the side of the stem of the lower end of the float about a half of an inch from the bottom and run my line thru this hole instead of the old way of down the center of the float. This way the smallest size of weight will make this float stand up straight and at the first sign of a bite it will lay over and more or less wave at you saying hay you have a bite and the fish feel less resistance when they pick up the bait and start to move off with it.Just thought I would share this with you all. It works great for me and I love to fish with it this way. Good fishing to all. Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

That thump is addicting. I was thinking about this same subject today, while fishing. I use braided line on all my poles. I know most of the guys in here use monofilament line. I not only get the fill of the thump, but I hear the bite also. HUH? I guess being that the line is touching the end eyelet the noise travels up through the pole. Do you guys that use monofilament line experience this noise?

I just asked my wife to help me word this noise I'm hearing. Her response was " you can hear a thump in your pole but you can't hear me". I just got busted, I guess it is selective hearing.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea Jimmy. I may try that in a couple nights. Pox.....I have been using braided line also this spring, and I can't say that I can hear the bite, but it does feel like I can tell they are going to hit before they hit. Not really, but that is how sensitive that power pro is. They can't touch the lure in any shape or form and me not feel it.

Post Thanks / Like

I also love the THUMP, but I also love the tick or line jump when a alsb mouths a jig. I now use green line so I can see the tick. I use a zebco spinning reel when i cast for crappie. I also hold the rod so that the line runs across my thumb. I have gotten so used to fishing that way I can feel any change of pressure of the line on my thumb. Isn't it amazing that a simple life experience like a thump can make your heart race.