Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic Forum Adds Nothing To Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Off Topic Forum Adds Nothing To Crappie.com

Why Do We Even Need This. If Its An Off Topic Subject Take It To A Forum Where It Is "on" Topic!

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you post an "off-topic" subject in the Main Crappie forum??? Id suggest if you don't like the content, simply don't read it......

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation C-Rex ...

Quote Originally Posted by Crappisaurusrex View Post
    Why Do We Even Need This. If Its An Off Topic Subject Take It To A Forum Where It Is "on" Topic!
    that was pretty much my first reaction to the idea of having a Off Topic Forum. I think debates rarely sway a persons opinion on something they have a firm belief in. All it does is cause division between members, and polarizes them into opposing camps. Now, I'm referring to the "politically" charged posts, as I'm sure you are also. They're not actually "allowed", according to the site rules, but they crop up or creep in to many threads. The Mod would have to be on 24/7 standby, with a finger on the delete button, to control the posts. Ain't gonna happen.

I witnessed the BDO (Bill Dance Outdoors) website go through a similar situation. Their "off topic" forum turned into a brawl ... again, politically charged posts were the culprit. They eventually had to make it a site rule that no political, religious, or sexual orientation references be made .... at the risk of being booted off the site. I certainly hope that doesn't become the answer to "our problem".

You'd think that people would come to this site to get away from all that blame game stuff ... a peaceful respite from the daily woes, trials & tribulations, and the weeping & wailing & gnashing of teeth.

Off Topic was supposed to be a forum for the discussion of things not necessarily Crappie fishing related, to give people another place (other than the Main Message Board) to discuss these "non-related" topics. But, with the addition of so many new & varied forums, I wonder if it's even necessary now. Even so, I really don't wish to see it go away, for the simple reason that I fear those same types of posts will start up here on the Main Message Board ... and I'll have to comb thru every single word, of every single post, and make a judgement call on the meaning & intent of those posts. I already spend a great deal of time monitoring this board, deleting the occasional language "oops", and catching & banning the spambots. I really don't want to have to start banning actual real people members, even if it was only a temporary ban to press the point that they'd crossed the site rule line.

It's Ed's call ... and I'll abide by his decision.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Good answer cp as usual!

Politics are never a good discussion and the same for religion.

This forum is no place for that stuff and people should never venture into that subject as it will surely not end good. I will not even look at or read political forums as they are a nest from anger and I really don't care to talk politics. Fishing boards should be for fun and learning, not fighting.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

i actually enjoy reading some of the off topic stuff, politics i just ignore.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to wonder how many here have complained about being "politically correct". Now, in a nutshell.....isn't that where we have to be all touchy-feely with what we say in order to prevent hurting anothers "feelings"?

Wonder how many here have complained about what isn't allowed in schools....or the 10 Commandments not allowed in courthouses.....yet you want to restrict ones freedom of speech here?

How & where exactly can you draw that line? When it comes to something you believe? And nothing esle should be allowed?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Fyi ...

Quote Originally Posted by FishTrap View Post
    I'd have to wonder how many here have complained about being "politically correct". Now, in a nutshell.....isn't that where we have to be all touchy-feely with what we say in order to prevent hurting anothers "feelings"?
    Wonder how many here have complained about what isn't allowed in schools....or the 10 Commandments not allowed in courthouses.....yet you want to restrict ones freedom of speech here?
    How & where exactly can you draw that line? When it comes to something you believe? And nothing esle should be allowed?
    here's a quote, straight from a sticky post on the Off Topics Board, from/by Ed ... the owner and Administrator of this site ... in reference to your questions :

"Crappie.com is my website - members only - not a public forum for anyone that wants to come in spouting their strong right or left wing political, sexual or religious views. It has nothing to do with censorship or freedom of speech so don’t try playing that card. These are my rules, I want, no, I insist on Crappie.com being a FAMILY orientated “Teach a Child to fish” web site that any age fisherperson can visit. There are other web sites for people that want to spout their particular political, religious or sexual views.
    If anyone breaks these rules, they will be banned simply at my discretion."

Due to the fact that Moderators cannot be online, monitoring every post every second of the day ... a certain amount of lax attitude towards politically charged posts has allowed some of them to run longer than they should.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

That's all well & fine, and I feel I respect the rules of any forum I decide to become a member of. But what are your feelings towards posts which cause disagreement regarding which bait, rod, reel, boat is "best".... or any other topic which can be debated/disagreed upon. I see alot of talk about wars, and veterans, many of which are politically based, should topics on these subjects be labeled as "not allowed" as well? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishTrap View Post
    But what are your feelings towards posts which cause disagreement regarding which bait, rod, reel, boat is "best".... .
    I can honestly say I've never herd that discussion on this board.
    Maybe I wasn't in school that day.

It just seems to me, there is always 'someone' who's not happy without debates.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Debates at times cause people to think....nothing wrong with that. Debating isn't the reason I came here....I love to fish, but sadly, at this current time I'm unable to fish as much as I'd like so I thought I could stay "sharp" on my methods, as well as see what others are reeling in.

I'm always open to learning something, fishing related or not. I'm sure if you looked, you'll find pages of "debates" on here about who thinks what gear is best.....matter of fact, type "debate" into the search function (I just did).....you'll be busy a while.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast