Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bait attractants?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait attractants?

This may have been discussed before but as I'm fairly new here I may have missed it. I have never used bait attractants before but just got some crappie nibblets, honey worms and a spray on scent to try. Anyone have any real life stories to tell about any of the above? I know color is a big deal, most of my fishing is with 2 jig poles in my hands and I always start out with different colors on each and change often until I feel confident that I have found the best color for that time knowing that it may change at any moment. I believe crappie are the most color conscious of all the fish I have pursued.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    This may have been discussed before but as I'm fairly new here I may have missed it. I have never used bait attractants before but just got some crappie nibblets, honey worms and a spray on scent to try. Anyone have any real life stories to tell about any of the above? I know color is a big deal, most of my fishing is with 2 jig poles in my hands and I always start out with different colors on each and change often until I feel confident that I have found the best color for that time knowing that it may change at any moment. I believe crappie are the most color conscious of all the fish I have pursued.

I have recently began experimenting with the crappie nibbles and have had good luck with them....of course, I am also catching fish on rods that don't have them either....so, I don't know that I can 100% attest to their effectiveness......but, when I do use them I notice I catch more fish all around......I have tried several different types of spray attractants as well and haven't noticed as much of a difference......I tend to use the pink and chartruese colored nibbles....but, that is just my personal preference....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the color the nibbles add to the mix. They do help. I started using cod liver oil gelcaps to spice up my jigs and it works best IMO. Give it a try from the vitamin section of your local store.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

I have used nibbles with some success. Some posters here really believe in them. Remember crappie are sight feeders. Any research I have seem states that smell plays little part in their food selection.

Here is a thread that had some discussion:

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ait+attractant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whizkids
    I have used nibbles with some success. Some posters here really believe in them. Remember crappie are sight feeders. Any research I have seem states that smell plays little part in their food selection.

Here is a thread that had some discussion:

I agree, I use them on occassion, but I don't consider them a necessity.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

The nibbles will not increase the number of bites you get, but they will increase your catch ratio due to the fact they make the crappie hold on to the jig longer. This helps with those light bites you may never feel. I live by them and use them evry time I put a jig in the water unless the crappie are spawning and will bite and hold on no matter what. I also believe the smell they put off helps when the fish are sluggish and don't want to bite.
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

I use many jars of the nibbles every year. Saved many a day! Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the best crappie attractor out there...........................................MI NNOWS

Post Thanks / Like

Great post moose. You really got my brain working (OUCH)!!
    Life is what you make of it...

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case any of you are interested in oil, like 100% shad oil, menhaden oil, Crawfish, etc. here is a link for you. Just a drop on you jig or lure should do the trick.

http://www.alltackle.com/attractants.htm

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast