Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rend Lake Newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rend Lake Newbie

I just took out my boat on Rend Lake. I am storing it this year to see what that lake has to offer. I am keeping it at Rend Lake Marina.

I will be going Monday and Tuesday to hopefully get into some Crappie.

Are there any recommendations on where to head off to? This is the first time I took the boat out so I didn't fish just ran the boat.

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to Rend lake tomorrow (at least that is the plan). Gone to prefish for the Paralized Veterans Association tournament there later this month. Hopefully I'll find fish and get to check out the crappie.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

I just read there was a Crappie tournament happening this weekend. Hope they leave some for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of fishing but not very much catching. There were a lot of folks fishing for crappie along the west side of the I-57 bridge. That would be where i would start. Good luck and letus know how you do.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

That's not encouraging. lol. I will enjoy just being out there. Catching fish is a bonus. Well...Bluegill should be coming in soon if the Crappie are done.

Thanks for the update Ranger

Post Thanks / Like

Went to Rend this past Tuesday and wednesday. Used minnows. Caught 4 Channel Cats, a 15 pound Carp on a bass lure. And lost 2 other big fish, most likely Catfish. Going back this coming Tuesday to really fish. Maybe for bluegill since a few guys I have talked to have not done squat for Crappie.

I spoke with one gentleman who told me that Crappie fishing was excellent in Rend with Slabbers guaranteed but about 4 years ago the Corps shocked the lake and took semi truck loads to another impoundment. He didn't say what the other lake was. He also told me that they introduced those Hybrid Bass and they of course eat the same food as Crappie. I saw his catch and it was a sad sight. I hope the bluegill fishing will pan out better.

will report on my next visit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xbht
    Went to Rend this past Tuesday and wednesday. Used minnows. Caught 4 Channel Cats, a 15 pound Carp on a bass lure. And lost 2 other big fish, most likely Catfish. Going back this coming Tuesday to really fish. Maybe for bluegill since a few guys I have talked to have not done squat for Crappie.

I spoke with one gentleman who told me that Crappie fishing was excellent in Rend with Slabbers guaranteed but about 4 years ago the Corps shocked the lake and took semi truck loads to another impoundment. He didn't say what the other lake was. He also told me that they introduced those Hybrid Bass and they of course eat the same food as Crappie. I saw his catch and it was a sad sight. I hope the bluegill fishing will pan out better.

will report on my next visit.
    According to the records the state record for the Black Crappie came from Rend. 4#-8 ozs.

Ranger Cup Boat Guest

Default Rend Lake

Newbie, I have fished Rend Lake many times and for the big fish you need to forget about the lake and fish up in the duck impoundment. You can launch at the Nason boat ramp and fish the firelanes to the railroad bridge and then on the other side of the bridge you will get into the laydowns along the channel. You really don't even have to start your motor. Many tourneys won up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip.

I was up near there I think but man it was getting shalow. I was north of Rend lake resort. I do not know the lake at all yet really as far as channels and such. I fished for 3o minutes or so in those stumps that was just north of that Rend lake resort. Caught a catfish. That was it. Not much action on the sonar either. I shall head up to the impoundments Tuesday.

4 lbs 8 oz now that is a crappie.

later all

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday was a great day to be out but the fishing was less desireable. Didn't get to Nason area. Caught 5 Crappie 8" to 10" in size and was fishing about 12" deep by the bank. They all came from Wayne Fritgerald Cove. Fighting that wind all day was a battle. I spoke with several folks and it seems I was the big winner. Thay had zero luck.

I was hoping to find some bluegill beds. I suppose it is still too early for the spawn. Especially since that cold front came through again last week.

Oh yeah forgot to let you know what I fished with. A chartruese tube jig with spinner and with a chartruese crappie nibblet.