Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: TM with digital foot controlled and autopilot, any good for crappie fishing?

tincan Guest

Default TM with digital foot controlled and autopilot, any good for crappie fishing?

Thinking to get a trolling motor but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with autopilot feature. How would crappie fishing be benefit from this feature? Is it more beneficial for bassing rather than crapping fishing?

Also, would digital foot controlled and better than cable controlled?

Post Thanks / Like

If you troll crankbaits like I do, and are usually by yourself like I am, the wireless trolling motors are great; particularly the auto pilot feature. This allows me to set a course and then I can watch and manage multiple rods without having to stop the motor when reeling fish in. No matter how the wind blows...the trolling motor stays on course.The wireless foot controll I can put anywhere in the boat and is very convenient.
    Meet a resonable man halfway everytime....don't meet an unresonable man at all.

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on the way you fish. I had one and I fish stakebeds 99% of the time so I am trying to stay on one particular spot. I hated it! It would not turn fast enough to suit me. For example, I was fishing out at the mouth of a large bay where it was very windy and the wind was constantly changing directions. The motor would not respond as fast as I could with a cable control. But on the other hand, I could see how it would be perfect for slow trolling or long lining.
    The only way to have a good fishing spot is to make it yourself!

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sixfin View Post
    It all depends on the way you fish. I had one and I fish stakebeds 99% of the time so I am trying to stay on one particular spot. I hated it! It would not turn fast enough to suit me. For example, I was fishing out at the mouth of a large bay where it was very windy and the wind was constantly changing directions. The motor would not respond as fast as I could with a cable control. But on the other hand, I could see how it would be perfect for slow trolling or long lining.
    I had the same trouble---wished they had a dual control [ha]
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead View Post
    I had the same trouble---wished they had a dual control [ha]
    Hey Frank

put one of these on the autopilot TM. It will work. Turn off autopilot.

Best of 2 worlds. I ain't got one, but I know it would work.

Big Foot 2 Hand Operated Trolling Motor Extension Handle
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I used an electronic controlled M/K on a friend's boat. We were slow trolling into a shifting headwind that was annoying but not particularly stout. The turning response was slow by comparison and I was constantly on the trolling motor, fighting it all the way. I didn't like it at all. Based on that experience, I would not have one. With cable control, you get used to it and it becomes second nature ... and it is instant turning response. Also, the electronic steering was very noisy, with squeaks and electronic motor sounds. My cable controlled M/K is very quiet.

They may have their application, but there definitely are situations for which they are not at all optimal.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world."
    John Winger

Post Thanks / Like

Good info, I haven't tried one but I always assumed they would be less responsive than the cable type. Seems like it would be great for trolling though, especially w/ the auto pilot.
    It's all over but the fryin'......