Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Small Cheap Open Face reel source?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small Cheap Open Face reel source?

I'm looking for four cheap (small) open face reels. Made-In-China-By-Slaves will do if I can't find anything else.

These will basically be line storage units, so 50 ball bearings, high quality drag systems, etc. are not necessary.

Anyone have any suggestions on a source?

My granddaughter has a "Barbie" rod and open-face reel combo that only cost 5 bucks, and those reels would do fine.

I could buy four of those, but **** ... although it takes a lot to embarrass me I ain't fishing with a pink reel that has Barbie's picture on it.

Tom
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 07-13-2008 at 12:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Try MonksCrappie.com, he has some little reels on his web site.

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reels

WE HAVE PINNACLE AND SHIMANO FOR $9.95 EACH!

MONK Welcome to MonksCrappie.com

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T_om View Post
    I'm looking for four cheap (small) open face reels. Made-In-China-By-Slaves will do if I can't find anything else.

These will basically be line storage units, so 50 ball bearings, high quality drag systems, etc. are not necessary.

My granddaughter has a "Barbie" rod and open-face reel combo that only cost 5 bucks, and those reels would do fine.

I could buy four of those, but **** ... although it takes a lot to embarrass me I ain't fishing with a pink reel that has Barbie's picture on it.

Tom
    Yep.........

Tom
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 07-13-2008 at 01:38 AM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Consider ....

Quote Originally Posted by T_om View Post
    Tom

.... how you'll use them --- pitching, vertical fishing, casting, trolling, or combinations of.
    ... weight vs length of rod you'll be putting them on, for a balanced setup.
    ... how much line is retrieved per handle turn (spool size vs retrieve speed ratio).
    ... who's going to be using it, and how often (how long do you expect them to last).

If you have a local privately owned tackle shop, that sells used reels on consignment, you can get some good deals on reels. Sometimes you may even get a decent quality reel, for the price of an "el cheapo".

Most all major brands have a low end product, selling for below the $20 range. And most major chain stores, that have a "sporting goods" dept., will have a selection of name brands & off brands.

... cp

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You might try these. I use them on my slow trolling rods. They are fine for that.
    HT

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some HT's from Grizzly Jig for 7 or 8 bucks and I've bought some of those Shimanos from Monk for 10.They both do the job I think the Shimanos are better suited for trolling rods as they are bigger and heavier than the HT'S and the drag works alot better also,but to heavy for my taste on a jigpole.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    .... how you'll use them ---
    These are going on a set of spider fishing telescopic poles. I am converting the "no guides" poles to have guides as I found out I REALLY disliked the way non-reel equipped poles are rigged.

As I said, these reels will basically be line storage units. Almost all Florida Bream, Shellcracker and Crappie lake fishing takes place in less than 12 ft of water.

These lakes are big shallow bowls down here. I'll be letting out the amount of line I need and then locking the reel down. These won't be used to "fight" the fish or cast. When done, they will just reel up the line for storage.

There is some deeper fishing going on in the rivers and feeder creeks of the St. Johns River system, but nothing like the big impoundments in GA, Al, MS, etc. By the way, I have fished all those impoundments too over the years. Sardis, Guntersville, Wheeler, Lake Smith and even some of the shallow lakes like Reelfoot.

I need open-faced reels because when I add guides on these rods that were never meant to have them, the guide spacing is going to be pretty wide. I still want the poles to collapse as much as possible. With the line carried under the rod, the line will stand free of the rod when bent.

Tom

PS: I am coming back to freshwater fishing from a long stint devoted to only offshore fishing. My "real" boat is a 24.5 ProCat catamaran. But the one I am having the most fun with lately is from my father-in-law. I inherited his 1961 riveted 14 foot Tinny with a 6 hp pusher.

PPS: My granddaughter told me last night "Pops, you can use my Barbie Rod". That is kinda hard to turn down while looking in those big blue eyes, but I am going to take her out next week and let her use my stuff. Heck, I might end up being the guy with the pink reel with Barbie's picture on it after all.

PPPS: Those reels at the Grizzly site look pretty good.
    Last edited by T_om; 07-13-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't like Barbie outfits you might check out the spiderman ones.lol
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roybuoy View Post
    If you don't like Barbie outfits you might check out the spiderman ones.lol

:D