Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minnows or Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnows or Jigs

Which do you prefer? I understand what the fish prefer is the main thing, but which is your choice to start with? Feel free to add if there's any particular reason in your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

This topic has been covered before but … jigs for me. I haven't used minnows in over 25 years. Jigs are cheap, simple to fish, work at all depths, and will catch anything that swims. And they don't die!

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems like the fish always prefer minnows where I am fishing, but that is probably because I use them so much.........but now if I didn't get minnows and fish exclusively with jigs...then I could probably say they prefer jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer gettin that PECK on the jig. just seems more versatile to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I figured it'd been brought up, but didn't see anything recent....so figured I'd throw it out there for those who have joined recently, like myself.

I should have mentioned, minnows for me, gives me time to reflect on all those ornery things I did as a kid, but intend on experimenting with more artificals once I get back on the water.

TacoBender is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Once you've fished jigs you'll never go back! :D
    TacoBender
    On The Spot Guide Service
    "Catchin Crappie Year Round"
    www.onthespotwithscott.com

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I am non partisan

Probably why I catch fish regularly.

OR maybe it is because fish love me.

Yep. That is the right answer.

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking For me ... jigs rule

Quote Originally Posted by FishTrap View Post
    Which do you prefer? I understand what the fish prefer is the main thing, but which is your choice to start with? Feel free to add if there's any particular reason in your choice.

... weedless jighead/plastics. I'll resort to minnows, if/when necessary or when nightstalking. I "prefer" jigs, because I "prefer" to cast as my primary technique of presenting the bait. Love the "thump/tic" :p .... but, still get a thrill out of watching a float go under, or a rod tip bounce ..then slowly bend down. Even when trolling, I prefer to have pole in hand.

But, for 95% of the time, you'll probably see me casting or "shooting" a jig ... and watching my line for any telltale signs of a hit

Luckily, for me, jigs work in the places I fish, during the times I fish, and the ways I like to fish ... well, most of the time, anyway :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Jigs. I like the larger ones for a little bigger profile. Lately though, on Truman, the fish have been hitting minnows much better than jigs, even small jigs. We've got high water (18' or so over pool) but we have good visibility for Truman -2 feet or so. As the water has gotten clearer, the fish seem to be preferring minnows. I try to stay versatile, but jigs are alot easier and quicker to fish.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

I heart lies with jigs but day in and day out a minner is hard to beat!!!!!!!!
    Mr. Plucker

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast