Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ontario, Canada bound....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ontario, Canada bound....

Jill and I leave on our annual Canada Walleye fishing trip in a few hours. We will be spending seven full days on Garden Island on Lady Evelyn Lake in Ontario chasing walleye and smallies. I just finished painting and baking some more jigs to take. The Suburban is packed, and I have a couple of errands to run, then we are headed to Michigan to meet up with her brother and sister in law. Since I snagged a 29.5' 'eye last year, my goal this year is to break that elusive 30" barrier.

We received a phone call from the Lodge owner last night advising us that he had sold out, and would not be there when we arrive. Most of the staff is intact, and we will meet the new owner on Saturday morning. The new owner sure has a load of work in front of him to maintain the excellent service that his predecessors have attained.

Everone be safe, catch a boatload of 'eyes while we are gone, and we will be back online on the 20th or 21st.

Jeff

Canada 2008

Canada 2007

Canada 2006

Canada 2005
    Last edited by SkeeterJeff; 07-08-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck and be safe. Watch out for us crazy Michigan drivers. Let us know how you did when you get back.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Jill and I leave in 14 days for our annual trip to Garden Island Lodge on Lady Evelyn Lake in NE Ontario. We are pumped and ready to get on that elusive 30+ inch 'eye. I caught a 29.75" 'eye last year, and a 29.5" 'eye in '07. Jill got into a 29.5" 'eye last year, so we have been soooooo very close, but unable to break that elusive 30" barrier.

I will post a report and pictures when we get home on the 2nd of August.

Jeff
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

have a safe trip
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

All packed up and will be on the road before noon Thursday hopefully. We should be on the water fishing by noon on Saturday the 25th.

Pictures and reports after we get home.

Jeff
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

Post Thanks / Like

We are back safe and sound after another great week of Walleye and Smallmouth fishing on Lady Evelyn Lake out of Garden Island Lodge in Ontario, Canada. Our goal was to break that elusive 30" Walleye mark and one of us met the goal.

The week was cloudy with rain off and on all week with moderate winds. Excellent Walleye fishing conditions. Temps were in the low 70's every day and only one night was cool enough to fire up the propane heater in the cabin. Water temps were in the 66-69 degree mark which is low for the end of July.

Here is the view from our cabin, #5 that we stay in every year. The front deck is literally 10' from the water and you can hear it lapping at the rocks all day and night.

We had a good week, catching and releasing over 100 Walleye over 18". We estimate we caught somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 for the week between the four of us. Here is a video of Jill picking up her THIRD!!! 27.5" 'eye of the week on Thursday.

The highlight of the week came early. On Sunday evening, our second day there, Jill hooked into this one.

32" and 11 3/4# using 6# test Trilene XT and a Bubble Gum colored Road Runner 1/8 oz with a willow blade, Shimano Spirex 2500 RD reel and Shimano 7' Convergence Medium/Fast spin casting rod. It took 20 minutes to land. It should have only taken 15 minutes, but I missed it with the net the first time and it took off to the bottom one more time before giving up. :oops:

My biggest of the year was 28", so I still have not broken that 30" barrier, but it was awesome to watch Jill fight that fish and be the first in our group to officially break the 30" mark.

All in all we had an excellent week, ate fish almost every day again, and brought some nice fish home. We made or reservations for next year before we left on Saturday morning.

Anyone wanting any additional information about Lady Evelyn Lake and/or Garden Island Lodge, just shoot me a PM.

Here is a link to our photo album from this year's trip:

Canada_2009 pictures by SkeeterJeff - Photobucket
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN